STC 1000 accuracy testing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aces High

Reaction score
I thought this would be an interesting experiment. This unit is a metrology calibrator or dry block calibrator. There is a thermowell in the top that you put the thermocouple in and you set the temperature and compare it with the thermo reading

You can set it at any temperature from -45 to 140 degrees with a 0.000 accuracy. its NATA calibrated, so its pretty damn accurate.

photo 1.JPG

These are 2 x STC 1000 units that have been in service for 3 years and about 1.5 years. One controls one of my fermenting fridges, the other controls a HERMS unit

I initially set it for 66 degrees and attached the STC's (sorry, forgot to take a photo) One unit was within 0.1 and the other 0.9 degrees. Not bad from a 30 buck controller. I calibrated them both to exactly 66 degrees using the F4 function which allows up to + or - 10 degrees adjustment. I then set the temp for 17 degrees to check the linearity and I gotta say, its pretty impressive overall

photo 4.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 2.JPG

Nice one!

Question: Where did you get this metrology calibrator thingymadgigy? I would be interested to calibrate my STC's, and my mash thermometer.

A slurry of mostly ice and some cold water left for a few minutes will be 0°c, that's how I checked mine when I bought it.

Phoney said:
Nice one!

Question: Where did you get this metrology calibrator thingymadgigy? I would be interested to calibrate my STC's, and my mash thermometer.
these thingymadgigy are very very expensive my company hires them out so I managed to get my hands on it briefly

indica86 said:
A slurry of mostly ice and some cold water left for a few minutes will be 0°c, that's how I checked mine when I bought it.
The only temperature ranges I was interested in are 66 degrees-ish as I use one of these as my mashing thermo & also to run the herms when I use it. Just because its accurate at 0 degrees doesn't mean it has a linear temperature curve and it could be way out by the time it gets to 66.

Just knowing that I have 2 accurate thermo's makes me absurdly happy

Latest posts

Back