Staves Brewery 'Brew Darker' homebrew comp

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LRJ

Reaction score
Brewers!

Staves Brewery is having a homebrew comp - Brew Darker.

We are asking you to brew a dark beer. We will choose a winner, and they will get to brew their beer and tapped at the brewery. We will also give the winner (and friends!) a $200 bar tab on the night we tap the beer. Unfortunately we won't be providing feedback on your entry.

Any questions, shoot.

Happy brewing!

Liam

View attachment A3 BREWDARKER .pdf

- Why no feedback on entry?
- BJCP sanctioned?
- Are postal entries accepted? If so - address?
- Where is Staves Brewery?
- Does the winner need to supply their own ingredients when brewing the winning beer at the brewery?

Staves Brewery is in Sydney (Behind Broadway Shopping Centre)

My guess is that they won't provide feedback on every entry because it's too much effort & time consuming. I can sort of appreciate that.

mtb:

- Phoney was more or less right about not providing feedback. This is not a beer judging competition - it is a competition for a single winner to get their beer brewed here. Thus our focus is not on critically analysing every beer. And thus it is not BJCP sanctioned.

- You can send postal entries at your own risk. Postal (brewery) address is:
Liam Jackson
4-8 Grose Street
Glebe, NSW, 2049

- Unless the ingredients include fairy dust, truffles or kopi luwak coffee, the winner does not have to supply their own ingredients for the brew here.

I'd better get the pig ready, put on my black hoodie and head out for my neighbour's truffle farm at 2 a.m.

Bribie G said:
I'd better get the pig ready, put on my black hoodie and head out for my neighbour's truffle farm at 2 a.m.
Ha.. Never trust a pig from Kyogle .. Will get confused with all those substances in the next valleys...

And as a bloke brought up in Fairy Meadow, all my dust is Fairy dust ...

Good stuff Liam. Hope you get lots of entries.

LRJ said:
- Unless the ingredients include fairy dust, truffles or kopi luwak coffee, the winner does not have to supply their own ingredients for the brew here.
Geeze, there goes my Succubus' Kiss Belgian Dubbel with truffle (and perhaps just a pinch of cayenne/sichuan). Inspired by Oglaf's Succubus (possibly NSFW, depending on your work).
I'll have to think of something else now. :unsure:

can the system reiterate?

YCHTB.jpg

Subitted our entries yesterday arvo'

I stupidly parked near Central Station. The walk wasn't far, but when you're carrying a box of beer and having to go around mopers ambling along, fixated on their phones, it seemed a lot further than it was. Staves is in a minor road that runs parallel to the main drag, up through broadway, about a block past UTS. Beer and uni students - how could that location ever work! Inside it's quite nice. I love it that the brew-system is right there behind that bar. Outside there's a courtyard, there's an upstairs too, but we did not investigate.

staves_1.jpg staves_03.jpg

They seemed to have quite a few entries. After lugging my bottles across the city, I hope they have a bit of time to re-settle before tasting. Looks like there'll be some stiff competition.

Mrs Wibble and I tried their Oatmeal Stout, Weizen Bock, Belgian Ardennes, Parti-gyle Dark Ale and just a taste of the Galaxy Kettle Sour. The Oatmeal Stout had quite a coffee note, and was rather delicious. I had never seen a Weizen Bock on tap before, it was great too. The Parti-gyle dark ale I would guess is from the Oatmeal Stout - since it tasted a lot like it. The Belgian Ardennes was a bit muted in flavour after only a middy of the previous beers, I should have planned my tasting-order better. The Kettle Sour - just a sip, was rich and hoppy, excellent aroma, and just a little sour. Previously I've thought that sour beers weren't my thing, but next time I go, I'd like to try this too.

RESULTS ARE IN!!! AND I didn't win.

FullSizeR~2.jpg

Who's got the recipe for that "Coconut Rough Dark Brown Ale" ?
Must admit, it sounds really delicious.

Latest posts

Back