State Brewing Comp - Tasmania

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtas

Reaction score
Hey guys, just a quick announcement so you can get started working on your brews for the state brewing competition.

We'll be running a limited number of categories this first time while we're finding our feet and judges. We'll be getting one or two experienced judges down from Melbourne as well as a couple of others from down here plus doing some training to get as many of us up to speed as soon as possible.

The 6 categories this year will be:
  • Amber & Dark Lager
  • Bitter Ale
  • Strong Stout
  • IPA
  • Wheat & Rye Beer
  • Farmhouse Ale & Wild Beer
Each category contains several styles. You will be able to enter up to 2 beers in each category but only one of any given style. Check out the AABC style guidelines for details on each category and style.

The comp will be held on the 26-27 September and 1-3 place-getters will need to be ready to send their beers off to the nationals soon after.

There'll be more info to come on this competition and other club activities but this should be enough to get you thinking and brewing.

If you have any questions or ideas, feel free to get in touch.

Just bumping this to give it a bit more visibility.

We'd really like to encourage guys who aren't part of the Hobart or Launceston clubs and especially those in the North West of the state to join in with the state comp. The more the merrier!

Yep, should have something ready by then.
LB

I will have something if work permits....

Do the beers have to be in long necks or??

Yeah, I think 2 x 375 or 1 x 750ml is the standard thing. It's a good idea to go with those Coopers PET bottles, especially if you place 1-3 and need to post a bottle for the nationals.

Hmm a reason to blend and bottle this sour that's been sitting for an age I reckon.

That's pretty cool guys, might give it a link on our club's facebook page :)

Lord Raja Goomba I said:
Noticed on the faecesbook page that it's the 13/14th September now.
Yeah that's right. The date had to be moved to allow enough time for entries that will advance to the nationals.

Gents, do we need to have our entries in by the 31st August? I don't use Facebook, and don't wish to. The page is okay to look at these details but not clear in this regard.

Other thing is - is there any news on where we can drop our entries off for the comp?

Entries have to be registered via email to [email protected] by the 31st August.
I'll organise for people up North to be able to drop their entries at Saint John Craft Beer or you can come to the Launceston brewers club meet on Monday 1st September and bring them along with you.

Blokes (and Lasses, hopefully there are some lady brewers down here):

What's the protocol for the entries? Is there an entry form? How are we identifying bottles?

With QABC it was (off memory) - no markings on the caps, no labels on the bottle. Just your overall entry form in the box with them and the individual beers each had their own paper rubber banded onto the bottle with the category, name of brewer, etc.

I know that the first year on these things is all teething, but I would suggest to look at one (or more) of the other states and what they method is for organising entries and then let us know, so that we can abide by the rules.

Thanks heaps,

Goomba

I've been putting together an entry form and it should be posted in here in the next day or so as well as on the FB page.
The marking will involve a number on the cap corresponding to the bottle number column on the entry form.
We will also ask you to attach your name on a piece of paper to each bottle with a rubber band or stickytape or whatever.

Latest posts

Back