State Amateur Brewers Show (sabsosa)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOLIATH

Reaction score
State Brewing Comp is on in earnest.

Any brewer that brews with Goliath can bring their beer in for a Pre-Judging. If I am happy with it I will pay the entry fee.

WHO, WHERE & WHEN
The State Amateur Brewers Show of South Australia (SABSOSA) is now in its eighth year as South Australias premier craft brewing event, to be judged as usual, at the Holdfast Bay Bowling Club, on Sunday12th September. Trophies will be presented on Sun. 19th. September.

If you have never entered a brewing competition previously, but believe that you brew a good drop come on and have a go. If you were a previous entrant, we would love to have you enter again and pit-skills against other amateur brewers in healthy competition. Please take note of the closing date for entries, Friday 27 August 2004. To enter more than one bottle, photocopy the Entry Form and ID Label and securely attach to each bottle as indicated.

NATION WIDE
Similar state qualifying competitions are being held in all states of Australia, making this the largest home-brewing event in Australia. The top three scoring entries in each category scoring at least 60% of the points available will be eligible to enter the national championship being judged this year in Canberra Presentation is on the 6th November.

JUDGING
Beers will be judged to the same style descriptions throughout Australia.

TROPHIES
Special trophies and medals will be awarded in each category, subject to sufficient entries.
First Prize (Trophy)
Second Prize (Medal)
Third Prize (Medal)

CATEGORIES (includes 60 different beer styles)
B1 Low Alcohol (< 3.5%alc) B8 Dark Lager
B2 British Ale B9 Strong Lager (>6%alc)
B3 Pale Ale (Colonial) B10 Pale Australian Lager
B4 Dark Ale B11 Wheat Beer
B5 Strong Ale (>6%alc) B12 Belgian Specialty
B6 Stout B13 Fruit, Specialty, Historical & Experimental
B7 Pale Lager

TROPHIES FOR BEST OF:
BEST KIT/ EXTRACT of Show Sponsor - Coopers Brewery
BEST MASH of Show Sponsor - Ausbulk
BEST BREWER of Show - Sponsor Holdfast Brewpub
best aggregate (1st, 2nd &3rd) from minimum of three categories.

VERY IMPORTANT:
Take care to indicate the correct style of your entries, on entry form.
Beers will be judged to style descriptions.
CLOSING DATE FOR ENTRIES 27th AUGUST -
Bottles may be delivered through your usual participating Brew shop or direct to the address below.
One entry form must be completed for each beer entered. Fees remain at $3 per bottle.

Brew& Bottle 90a Winston Ave, Melrose Park ph 8277 1744
Brewmaker H/B 560 North East Rd, Holden Hill ph 8369 3649
Goliath Brewing 238a Brighton Rd, Somerton Park SA 5044 ph 8294 0888
Grumpys left off motor way at Handorf exit ph 8188 1133
Bake & Brew 1 Todd St, Gawler ph 8522 6144

Further queries and alternative bottle drop-off point,
State coordinator, Mike Leupold, 5 Ellis Ave Eden Hills, ph 8278 6696

can us NT people enter and whats the min bottle size ?

gday bonk
i posted a similar question on daves site so we will hopefully soon have an answer

cheers
big d

Hi all

I will see Mike (the coordinator) tomorrow and I will post an answer for all.

Please allow a day or two for a sober and coherent reply.

Cheers
Pedro

Thats my problem, when i bottle all my beers are in grolsh bottles

Hi all

Mike said that the NT and WA brewers can enter. There are some restrictions on prizes as it is a SA comp. I will get Mike onto this thread to that any questions cn be answered.

Cheers
Pedro

Is there a website wth the competition detials & entry forms on it? May enter a couple of what I have brewing atm.

i would be more than happy just to get feed back on my beers as to how they fair against others.

cheers
big d

Here are the "Conditions of Entry"

CONDITIONS OF ENTRY PLEASE READ

1. The competition is open to ALL interested Amateur Brewers, entrant must be a resident of S.A. - See below for WA and NT.

2. The named brewer may submit only his/her Homemade product. - All entries become the Property of SABSOSA.

3. ONE FORM Per BOTTLE. Fill in your name, address & number of entries, p/copy form as required, then fill in different entry styles.

4. Top of Entry Form must be attached to the bottle with a RUBBER BAND and submitted with payment (still only $ 3.00 per entry )

5. Bottle preferred shall be 750ml. Beer bottle, 500ml OK, or two 375ml. Bottles marked not to be refilled WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. (they have in the past...Dave)

6. Maximum of two entries per category. - Entries in the same category should be identified clearly as a different style.

7. Entrant to decide which category to enter in - See Style Guidelines on back of this form. (beers are judged using AABA style guidelines)

8. Exhibitors shall be bound by the Judges and Conveners decisions and no dispute shall be entered into.

9. The Organisers, Convener and Judges will not be held responsible for the loss of, or damage, to any entry, entry form or fee.

10. It is understood that all Exhibitors will have read and accepted the current Conditions of Entry and Schedule of Categories & Beer Styles and shall be bound by the conditions therein. - Unless prearranged, late entries will NOT be accepted

11. Closing Date for the Entries shall be Friday 27th Aug. Judging will be on 12th September and Trophy presentation on 19th Sept. 2004.

12. Put aside a 750ml bottle of each entry. Top three scores only in each category may contend National Championship, this year judged in ACT.

For Western Australia & Northern Territory only (other states have their own qualifying competitions)

Unless circumstances alter, entries from WA & NT can qualify via SA, they will be judged using the below Judging criteria* and conditions as SA.

Entries must receive a minimum of 60% of total points the best three in each category, for each State/Territory, will qualify to enter the AABC being judged in ACT

For any further queries, entry forms bottle drop off point etc please contact me on >[email protected]<

Judging criteria*:

Beers will be judged to style descriptions, to be found at http://aaba.asn.au/index.htm - go to Guides

You must enter the correct style description on entry form and entry label ID otherwise your beer could be judged incorrectly.

Hi All

Where can I find a copy of the entry form for this comp?

+ A quick heads up to JasonY..... His 'Award Winning' Oatmeal Stout (prize winner at our local WestCoast Brewers stout comp) will do well If he has any left to enter......

If your thinking of tyring this style - his recipe would be a good start IMHO..

Asher for now

oh well, looks like i'm out, only got those 'not to be refilled' bottles.

maybe next year.

I don't believe that the "not to be refilled" is an issue. I have asked Mike again and he will get someone to respond to these questions.

Cheers
Pedro

hi
Has anyone got a PDF of the entry form for the SA comp that they can post here?
I'm planning on entering a few crackers to keep you South Aussies honest..
:lol: :lol:

I tried Dave above yesterday - but I'm impatient... ;)

Asher for now

Hi all

Does anyone know when & where for N.S.W. brewers? :blink:

Cheers
Lagernut

There is also the ANAWBS competition held in October, I will post the exact details when I have them.

Jovial Monk

hi asher
mark is in charge of the shop at the mo,dave broke his leg after involvement with the pet goat.
probably why he is off the net at the moment.

cheers
big d

Hi Asher,
If you email your address(e-mail) to Goliath`s I will send you a copy in the morning
Regards
Mark

can you post one on the Goliath site, Mark so we all can get it?

Back