Starting Out Once Again

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Westaussiebrewer

Reaction score
Hello to all you fellow brewers :)
Firstly I'd like to say that after being out of the game for the last 6 years I decided to jump back into it ( the cost of beer here in WA is just getting silly) so I've gone for the easy one and bought a coopers kit to start off with and it's gone great :) once again I'm hooked and so the slippery slope starts again.
So the other day i went over to the storage shed and found all my old kegging gear but to be honest I don't thing the kegs would be upto the task I'm just curious to know from you fellow brewers is
1 can these kegs still be used
Or
2 should I just buy some new kegs nod discard the old

Thanks in advance for your help and happy brewing

Well welcome back to the brewing game. As for the old kegs, just clean them out, sanitise them and fit new seal kits and they will be as good as ever.

Beer getting expensive, I some one I know paid $60 for a carton of VB in Coober Pedy last year.

Cheers.

they will be fine, I would give them a good soak in sodium polycarbonate (napisan) and rinse well. I would also change the seals and maybe poppets if they are stiff or the rubbers are gone. If they are SS they will last forever but you just replace seals and poppets and pressure release valves as needed.

Sodium percarbonate,starsan,and some food grade lube for statrers.depending on what your starting in for kits and extracts get Ianh's spreadsheet.

Hey like everyone else has stated they will be fine with a good clean and new seals. However if you do decide to ditch the kegs may I have first dibs on them please. Haha kidding. Went to a brewery today. Spent like 50 bucks trying a couple different beers. Some we're ok, some were not my liking, got home and poured myself a brew and was like ahhh much better. Best of luck. Chris
Ps I'm from gero, might be back there soon so may have to organise a taste test

Back