Starting again in Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cat007

Reaction score
Hi all.

My situation changed and I moved to Melbourne last year from New Zealand and have moved away from my all grain brewtroller controlled HERMS system that I built and now I have nothing!

I'm looking around at decent home brew stores in my area (I'm in Melbourne 3004).

I want to start with a basic 23L setup. Onestopbarshop have a complete beginner kit for $99. I just need to get some bottles.

Seems like a good deal to get me back into it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers :)

Hunt

Grain and grape in yarraville probably have the biggest range but Melbourne is pretty blessed with hbs - greensborough, keg king, clever brewing to name a few.

Also prices and service of some interstate retailers like craftbrewer and brewman can offset shipping rates.

Looks like a pretty good kit for the money, excellent value, but Mornington is not real close to 3004.
No problem if you plan to go for a drive down there anyway. Mornington Peninsula is pretty nice.

Brewcraft have a store in Richmond which is pretty close to you, and also Oakleigh, but their basic kit (Tooheys) is not a patch on the one your looking at, and only $10 cheaper.
They have a great range of recipe kits and clones of commercial beers though.

Welcome to Aus, and welcome back into the fray.

Ian

manticle said:
You can do loads better than brewcraft
I'm sure he could, but they are the closest to 3004 that I know of.

Maybe I can clarify Manticles comments a bit, with my own experiences. When I started there was a brewcraft store in Heidelberg (long since shut down) I got my starter kit from them and then received some pretty rubbish info from the unhelpful staff and made crappy beers. I put it away in my shed. 5 years later I stumbled onto Greensborough home brew. With the knowledgeable Dave and the help of this forum which I stumbled upon at the same time I made some good kit beers which then became some great all grain beers. I wouldn't recommend brewcraft to anyone. Drive a bit further and speak to staff that know and care.

I've had positive and negative experiences with Brewcraft at Richmond. Staff seem to mean well, but the pricing and advice is hit and miss. My most recent experience was with their fermenting vessels the second one in 2 months I've returned, leaked and so on - unfixable and shit. I took it back and got it exchanged for other supplies. They were willing to exchange it for another fermenter, but when I opted for other option the attendant let me know they'd complained to the manufacturer as the plastic used was underweight and therefore thinner and tap threads useless for seals. He told me that AFTER he'd just offered to replace it. Not cool. It's a hobby for me but nothing comes cheap these days so value for money matters. That and the general pricing for kits etc I noted quickly as excessive. Now, happy to support others.

Latest posts

Back