Starting Ag Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sethanon

Reaction score
Hey all,
I've developed a 5 lt pale ale recipe at this stage it's looking at a BIAB my plan is to make a series of small batches then slowly step it up. Anyway the recipe!
1 kg light malt (maybe pale)125g crystal100 g flaked wheat (not sure if this is to much or little)7 g pride of ringwood
Anyway let me know thanks

whats it say in brewing software ?? I think there is to much crystal, unless thats what your going for. I use about 5% and up to 10% wheat but never used the flaked wheat. As for the hops I would bitter to 25IBU and aim for OG around 1045 with 85% pale 10% wheat and 5% crystal. If you want a aussie style one I would mash at 65deg so it finishes a bit dryer.

BS2 has me in the green on all accounts but the wheat wasn't really changing much so I was unsure how I should do it. I might lower the crystal amount then and see what I get!

BS2 has me in the green on all accounts but the wheat wasn't really changing much so I was unsure how I should do it. I might lower the crystal amount then and see what I get!
Unfortunately BS2 doesn't have tastebuds.
What Kelby is talking about is residual sweetness and a heavy mouthfeel which BS2 has no way of measuring.
It is these things that you pick up with experience.
Making a series of small batches will help with this and before long you will get a feel for what is too much of this or that.
FWIW I agree with Kelby in this case.
Cheers
Nige

I'd not use any spec malts. Aussie beers are chronically simple.

Two ingredients; one malt; one hop; one addition. SWEET!

One should never complicate the bogan's elixir.

I also recon to keep it very simple while you learn.

When i formulate a recipe, i dont look at amounts, i work in percentages.

I can formulate a recipe in my head in % amounts and then i punch it in brewing software and adjust to get the OG i want. Just like Kelby did in his post above.

I know from reading up on spec malts what sort of %age of the grist i can use, and i now know from experience what sort of character i can expect and thus how to blend them in the right proportions to get a ballanced result.

For your first few brews, just use a 100% base malt like Pilsner or Ale malt. Get the basics like hitting your mash temperature targets down pat and sorting out any problems or shortfalls with your brewing gear before you go complicating things with trying to use spec malts as well.

Now your recipe.

1kg of Pilsner in a 5 liter brew gives me 1.046
If you use 10% wheat, it will be 900g Pilsner, 100g Wheat.
7g of PoR @ 10% AA boiled for 45 min gives me 37 IBU. You may want to review that.

Post what the % AA rating of your PoR hops is and i will work out what you need if you like. You want about 27 IBU for a nice Aussie Pale Ale

The difficulty of making such small batches is its very difficult to hit your targets where temperature and and boil off volumes are concerned.

But for mash in you can aim a touch lower and touch up the heat on the stove if you need.

With boil off, if you evaporate at 5L/hr or 6L/hr, this will make a big difference to the gravity of a 5L brew. If you boil off one extra liter than what you calculate, your gravity goes from 1.046 to 1.058, but your better off boiling off too much as you can top it up with water when your done.

Just a few things to think of.

Hope it works out :)

cheers

Thanks guys.

the PoR I'm using is around 9%AA I'm hoping to use this sunmer to make many virsions of this until I get it right I'm not expecting to much from my first few batches but I'll go to a few brew days at my local HB store and see what happens :) propably continue to make a few partial mashes while I learn.

thanks again!

The thing about all grain is that its a lot easier to make a great tasting beer when compared to extract. So if you're pushing out drinakable knk or extract beers i think you will pleasantly surprised by your all grain efforts :)

I thought i was going to stuff up my first all grain too, but after i tasted it i didn't even bother with drinking the matured extract stuff i had in bottles, some of them are still there two years on!

Enjoy your beer

Thanks guys.

the PoR I'm using is around 9%AA I'm hoping to use this sunmer to make many virsions of this until I get it right I'm not expecting to much from my first few batches but I'll go to a few brew days at my local HB store and see what happens :) propably continue to make a few partial mashes while I learn.

thanks again!

Latest posts

Back