Starting a yeast bank

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a heap of the 15ml ones a while ago :( i might do smaller and use those is that possible?

Always keen to learn, I shall read that Mat when I get the chance. (Retirement does not make me less time poor in lockdown)

Actually in my method above, Mark, I am using 25% Glycerine, 25% water and 50% yeast slurry i.e. 12.5ml glycerine 12.5ml water and 25ml yeast slurry.
These solutions do indeed freeze solid and so far have had no failures. Bear in mind I do use a decent overpitch of about 20% in the brew (backyard calcs)

Cheers

I know anecdotes don’t trump science but I just wanted to add that I am using the exact same vials and the same ratios and have successfully restored a number of yeasts after several years. I just spun up a danish lager yeast that was 3.5 years old and it tastes and smells fine. I don’t have equipment to look at it any closer or a more scientific method than smell and taste unfortunately...

my freezer is a defrost cycle one, I’ve packed with ice bricks around the vials to buffer against any temp swings.

Yes Meggs no problem. But I agree with Grmblz and I use the 50 ml ones so a bigger sample to start with
They are quite cheap but in saying that you will use more glycerine and sterile water, but the glycerine goes a long way anyway. I got 2.5 kg in a bulk buy from MOAD late 2016 and still have about 1 kg left (15gr/ vial). Probably will need some in another year or so

When you go to make a starter what happens with the glycerine in the test tube?

You can get it at Coles/Woolies in the cake making section. Any good commercial baking supplier will have larger containers (Colaminer - Babina 103707 GLYCERINE 6KG SHELF BAKING/COOKING).

I would after the sample has thawed in the fridge over night decant the glycerine/water layer off the yeast in the tube, add some sterile water, shake and add to starter.
Its a plant based Glycerene, I'm not sure what yeast does with it, but it is an illegal additive in brewing. Not because it is harmful but because its an artificial aging ingredient. There were a bunch of ingredients banned for brewing in Victorian times (Arsenic among them) I have a hunch Glycerine was one of them, some times I think our legal/tax system isn't what you would call progressive.
Mark

I still have a ton of glycerine if anyone wants some. I’m not great with posting so would need to be pick up in Newcastle. Can leave in a jar outside. If anyone is interested PM me and I’ll work out what I paid, from memory it was less than half the price of the stuff from coles.

Hey guys, looking into starting my own bank but most the article I read say to use sterile tubes that I can't find in Oz.

Does anyone have a source or recommended ebay/amazon seller they would recommend

@Coalminer I noticed the link in your post but unfortunately they are all out of stock :-/

Hey guys, looking into starting my own bank but most the article I read say to use sterile tubes that I can't find in Oz.

Does anyone have a source or recommended ebay/amazon seller they would recommend

@Coalminer I noticed the link in your post but unfortunately they are all out of stock :-/
Where are you based , I can get them ?

Where are you based , I can get them ?

Mate that would be awesome!

I'm in Sydney (inner west) obviously more than happy to cover postage.
I now you didn't offer because you wanted anything in return but let me know if you need any bits for a swap!
I've actually got more or less all the components you need for a ispindel build I'd be happy to send in return :)

Mate that would be awesome!

I'm in Sydney (inner west) obviously more than happy to cover postage.
I now you didn't offer because you wanted anything in return but let me know if you need any bits for a swap!
I've actually got more or less all the components you need for a ispindel build I'd be happy to send in return :)
I'll message you.

You don't necessarily need sterile tubes if you sterilize them in a pressure cooker with the water/glycerine mix already in them.
15 min at 115C is all that is needed.
I reuse my tubes and never had a failure

Last edited:
Just done my first attempt with freezing yeast with a ratio 10ml water 15ml glycerine & 25ml yeast slurry.
Once frozen it looks like yeast slurry & water glycerine has separated as shown in photo
Is this normal?

IMG_6518.jpg

Back