Starting a new 1BBL brewhouse with intention to scale & distribute.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ATO Excise division have a lot of information that you will have to know and comply with.
If you start there and follow all the links (should keep you entertained for a couple of days). There was a guide to starting a Micro on the ATO website but I cant find it now, there are also several businesses that offer courses in opening a brewery i.e. http://www.beverageandbrewingconsulting.com/starting-a-microbrewery-course
But like I said try the ATO first, even ring them and ask what they have available. ATO
Mark

The ATO Excise division have a lot of information that you will have to know and comply with.
If you start there and follow all the links (should keep you entertained for a couple of days). There was a guide to starting a Micro on the ATO website but I cant find it now, there are also several businesses that offer courses in opening a brewery i.e. http://www.beverageandbrewingconsulting.com/starting-a-microbrewery-course
But like I said try the ATO first, even ring them and ask what they have available. ATO
Mark

Does this course still run? The website doesn't seem to have been updated since last year.

I take it back, looks like there was a course on the 3rd of June. Not all that helpful.

Burgo, those copper vessels - just out of interest did the winery say where they got them originally? Assuming a custom build?

Hard to get copper stuff nowadays ... mostly stainless going round.

Burgo, those copper vessels - just out of interest did the winery say where they got them originally? Assuming a custom build?

Hard to get copper stuff nowadays ... mostly stainless going round.

Yeah he actually mentioned they were a custom'ish build, didnt mention where from though. By the looks of it it was in the late 1800's.. lol.

Do you know if the copper has any metallic effect on the brews produced or ph variations ?

Im keen to get into them with the polishing wheel & see how they come up.

Very cool bits of gear. You've picked up something very nice there.

Not really my area sorry, I'd be keen to learn about it as well.

I read somewhere that copper needs to be kept clean (a little extra maintenance), as the oxides (bluey green stuff) that form on tarnished surface are not good for you. Anyway if anyone has knowledge here please chime in as I'd be keen to learn too.

An old great aunt of mine (Welsh) used to swear by putting a copper penny in water used to wash hair. No idea what that was for. . .Lol.

All the best. Cheers.

I read somewhere that copper needs to be kept clean (a little extra maintenance), as the oxides (bluey green stuff) that form on tarnished surface are not good for you. Anyway if anyone has knowledge here please chime in as I'd be keen to learn too.

An old great aunt of mine (Welsh) used to swear by putting a copper penny in water used to wash hair. No idea what that was for. . .Lol.

All the best. Cheers.

I know what you mean by the oxidisation. Im hoping that the outside buffs up a beauty & then ill put a sealer over it to protect the new found shine. Once I'm all systems go ill make sure to show you how she looks.

That would be great, it should shine up very nicely. But it's the inside you really need to worry about. Sanitation, sanitation, sanitation....

Just went and had another look at the OP and the pictures following. Judging by the two Stainless manways sticking out of one of the vessels, I suspect the guts are going to be stainless and the copper just a cosmetic cladding, which is pretty common.
A good clean and polish followed by a good lacquer should have it looking a million.
Mark

All the best. Cheers.

Although they do have some advantages, copper is a better conductor of heat, it wets better than does stainless, some copper ions in the wort may help to catalyse protein coagulation, there is some discussion on the possibility that I copper also reacts with sulphur compounds (thiols) in the wort and may help remove some of them.

Wort is acid, so they have a much shorter working life than stainless, some will be dissolved every time you use it, too much copper in solution will cause premature staling, copper is very toxic to yeast in anything over trace amounts (PPB's of Cu++)...

The maintenance requires a lot more time and effort , on balance you really don't want a copper kettle. Everything that you might get from a copper kettle could be gained by tossing a bit of scrap copper into the kettle (well except the heat conduction and wetting) but I don't think anyone bothers.
Mark

Often lined with tin in cooking to prevent strongly acidic foods from leaching too much copper into whatever you're cooking & making everyone crook.

Speights down in Dunedin have a nice big copper boiler but it's been decommissioned. Replaced with shiny stainless to increase production.. mores the pity.

After the Christchurch earthquakes (and loss of facilities up there) they had to increase production at Dunedin to meet demand .. so they shut down the copper boiler and set up a heap of stainless steel stuff.

They could fire it up again though.. if the bean counters let them.

Just went and had another look at the OP and the pictures following. Judging by the two Stainless manways sticking out of one of the vessels, I suspect the guts are going to be stainless and the copper just a cosmetic cladding, which is pretty common.
A good clean and polish followed by a good lacquer should have it looking a million.
Mark

Gday Mark,

I hope you are right. The copper looks good but it sounds as though it might be a bugger to look after & maintain etc.

Just hope I haven't bought a lemon.

I don't know what your business plan is or the capital you have available, however there is a brew on premise business for sale in Canberra. This could help you get around some of the initial set up infrastructure, permits,etc as well as providing an income as you establish and expand your brewery/brand.

https://www.commercialrealestate.co...ue-profitable-business-opportunity-2013668183

Good luck with your dream.

Mark

You were right Mark, heres the update on the gear I've bought;

"Yes it is a 2 vessel setup.
Yes you will be able to start brewing once setup.
You will need an electrician to change the elements in the heating tank to 240v
You will need hoses and a few clamps.
You may need to modify some pipe work to suit how you lay it out so a local guy who can weld stainless steel.
Yes all the vessels are stainless steel with about 80mm insulation and an outer stainless steel coated with copper".

All the pumps and pipe work are also stainless steel.

Can you explain to be how a 2V works in a nutshell? & also any pros/cons that come with that.
Does this mean that ill not have to source a HLT?

Im thinking of ordering the 1BBL Brite from NewEra, would this be jumping the gun?

Cheers.
B.

I wouldn't spend any money until you put it on the floor and see how it all fits together, I suspect the pumps will be 3 phase 415V and that you might be better off looking at upgrading your power supply than in changing elements. You might find it hard to get enough Watts out of a single phase 240V household supply.

From what you have posted so far I suspect you need a bit of an education, this will cost you time and probably money, if you try and get one here for free it will probably end up costing you a lot more in the long run.

There are brewing courses available, (I have done some work with Vince Costanzo and there are others), although it might cost a bit, spend the money and start out on the right track.

Yes I think you will need a HLT, as mentioned above there are several options, but again wait until you know the answer, rather than relying on random opinions (even mine:))
Mark

Just taking another look at the Pix, there is a good possibility that the "Mash Tun" is in fact a two layer tank with an HLT included, like I said wait until you see it!
Mark

Dont forget local council ( DA to actually build a brewery ), State Government ( liqour licencing ) and finally the ATO

ALL those box's have to be ticked starting with your local council.

The ATO will be fun...

I suggest you do a lot or research first on what you will need to have in each of the of the 3 areas.of approval. If you dont have a clear understanding of what is required then you will never make it

Latest posts

Back