Starter Wort

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tropico

Reaction score
I have some old grains and they seem to be in good condition, no mould or insect damage, however I am doubtful about using them to make a batch of beer.

So I thought I could use them to make up a batch of wort for using in yeast starters. Looking at about 15 - 18 litres, and then freezing in one or two litre portions.

Would this be OK or just toss them out?

Chew on them. If fresh tasting and crisp to bite, brew as normal. If slack/soft bite and stale tasting - compost or chickens.

What container type is everyone using for storing their starter batches?
Anything recyclable or cheap?

What container type is everyone using for storing their starter batches?
Anything recyclable or cheap?
I can mine in Mason Jars (Ball) brand. Cook them in the pressure cooker (15min then leave them to slowly cool down in the cooker) good to store for long time. Or boil them submerged in a big pot (for longer say 30 to 60 minutes) if you don't have a pressure cooker.

I have used 5L Willow containers to make no chill starter packs. It works out well.

If i have to split a pack it is pretty easy to boil the remainder in a flask.

I freeze the (purposely calculated) left-over & strained wort from the kettle in empty 1.5-litre juice bottles, thaw out when needed, dilute to 1.040 or thereabouts, re-boil & then cool down to room temp in the sink ready to add my tube of (room temp) yeast.

I have some old grains and they seem to be in good condition, no mould or insect damage, however I am doubtful about using them to make a batch of beer.

So I thought I could use them to make up a batch of wort for using in yeast starters. Looking at about 15 - 18 litres, and then freezing in one or two litre portions.

Would this be OK or just toss them out?
I'll re-recomend the canning of your wort in Mason Jars. The beauty of it is they keep in a dark cupboard for a long time. Ready to use at the drop of a hat. They don't take up valuable freezer space. Just crack the sealed lid and into the flask/starter without having to thaw out, or re boil to sanitize etc. Canning jars max size is 1lt but that's the optimum size for variable size starters anyhow.
I usually make the effort of diluting the wort to 1.040 when I can it so its ready without fussing on the day.

I'll re-recomend the canning of your wort in Mason Jars. The beauty of it is they keep in a dark cupboard for a long time. Ready to use at the drop of a hat. They don't take up valuable freezer space. Just crack the sealed lid and into the flask/starter without having to thaw out, or re boil to sanitize etc. Canning jars max size is 1lt but that's the optimum size for variable size starters anyhow.
I usually make the effort of diluting the wort to 1.040 when I can it so its ready without fussing on the day.

Hmmm! I might get hold of a few mason jars & give it a go Danscraftbeer.
I am a bit set in my ways being an old fart but your points are noted. :)

Maybe I could use some Fowler's Vacola jars, I have boxes of them. Of course I'd give them 60 minutes in the old Fowler's boiler (stainless version that goes with the jars) that is current being use as my HLT.

Latest posts

Back