Starter Liquid

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sluggerdog

Beer In Here
Reaction score
As I boil up my first litre of wort for a starter that i will be making. I wondered. Could I make the 3 litres of wort today but only add 1 litre at a time for the next 3 days or until I have enough trub to use in my brew?

OR is this too much of a risk for infections to the un-used wort for the few days it would be sitting?

You could do that, but you are right that there would be an element of risk. It would depend on how confident you were in your sanitisation/sterilisation. If you were pouring hot wort into heat-sterilised bottles (that could handle the temperature changes), sealing them with sanitised tops and storing them cold I would be relatively confident.

Cheers too easy.

I'll do it separately as I know my sanitisation is not 100%.

Slugger,
If you are just stepping up, then make your starter solutions in the microwave.
I do this for small increments and it works ok.

Another good trick is to bottle a couple of longnecks of each brew just after the boil - I've stored some of these in the fridge for several months with no ill effects.

Obviously you need to be pretty confident with your sanitation, but it's great to just select from a range of readymade starter worts (that are a close match to your eventual brew) rather than having to boil and cool a starter mixture every time.

:super:

Sort of off topic but as it was my original topic I'm not going to cry...

My question is to do with starters, how much trub is too much? I pitched a danish lager yeast into a starter and am growing it now, tomorrow I will add the third litre to the bottle however I am not brewing until next saturday (fridge room)

Should I keep going and get a super dooper trub in my starter bottle or just stop at the 3 litres and put in the fridge until ready to use next week?

I'd probably let it ferment out at 3L and fridge it. If it all settles out then perhaps pour off the first couple of litres and pitch the reamaining.

3L should be big enough unless you are making a high gravity lager?

Thanks JasonY, yeah I usually pour off the top anyway and pitch the trub from 3 litres, just though 4 or even 6 might be better?

Back