Starter In Fermenter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whatwhat

Reaction score
Hi all i was wondering if any one has created a starter in a fermenting vessel and then added fresh wort to the starter in the vessel? I am looking at a 2 - 4L starter for a low temp larger that i am about to do. Also do i have the starter at the same temperature as what i will ferment out the wort at? I will begin with a liquid yeast with 2 cups water to a half cup of LDME i think.

OH and go the Maroons tonight!!

I've never done that, but assuming it stays sanitary, it sounds like it would work well.

Let us know how it goes.

I've never done a starter in a fermenter, i'm sure it would work if you keep it clean.

To make up your starter wort go with 100g ldme in 1L of water, so if you make up 4L use 400g.

If you are going to pitch the entire starter into the beer then you'll want to ferment at lager temps. A better idea would be let the starter ferment out and let the yeast settle, pour off the starter and then only pitch the yeast. If you don't add the entire starter you can just ferment at ambient temps, since you're making yeast not beer.

Hi all i was wondering if any one has created a starter in a fermenting vessel and then added fresh wort to the starter in the vessel? I am looking at a 2 - 4L starter for a low temp larger that i am about to do. Also do i have the starter at the same temperature as what i will ferment out the wort at? I will begin with a liquid yeast with 2 cups water to a half cup of LDME i think.

Are you trying to over-simplify things? I can't see why you couldn't do that, but I would have thought that it would just over-complicate things, because unless you're putting wort at close to the perfect pitching temperature onto the yeast cake then that can cause other issues too. As Eukl said, 100g DME to 1L of water - don't over complicate the measurements by converting to cups.

It's also worth considering what off-flavours the starter will add, if it's a delicate beer they may not be what you want and a more normal starter might be preferred so you can chill and decant the beer off the starter prior to pitching.

The whole time I've been typing this I keep thinking that a flask and stir plate isn't expensive, do it once, do it right :)

What the hell is a maroon?

With a fresh Wyeast pack and a lower gravity beer I often make a 20 litre starter in the fermenter. :)

I've done it a number of times, usually by top cropping onto the starter as it's simpler to top crop into a fermentor than into an enclosed bottle. It works really well with cubing. I'll usually put the trub into a tall container into the fridge and decant that after a day or 2. I'll reboil that and adjust the FG to make it into a starter in the fermentor. I've had nothing but good results from doing things this way. It wouldn't be as efficient as making a starter on a stir plate but it's extremely simple, and requires no extra equipment or extra sanitation. Doing it with cubing works well as you are able to pitch the beer when the yeast is ready, not pitch the yeast when the beer is ready.

Thanks all for the advice. May have been trying to over complicate things as suggested? Keep it simple stupid, wins again.

a Stir plate and pyrex beaker should be my next purchase. ARGHH does it ever end ;)

Actually sounds like a pretty good idea to me :)

You could open the fermenter tap and run off the starter beer too.

Actually sounds like a pretty good idea to me :)

You could open the fermenter tap and run off the starter beer too.

Then you would be pitching to yeast slurry, not a starter.......

Screwy

Latest posts

Back