Starter for 15l kolch @ 1.060 (actually it's a bock)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ploto

Reaction score
I have a 15l St Peters fresh wort kit of their Kolch which I was planning on brewing undiluted - I won't know the OG until open it, but if it's like their other FWKs then I expect it to be 1.060 out of the cube, which seems to be within the acceptable range for this style.

I've never made a real lager-type beer before and this is the first time I'll be making a starter from a vial of liquid yeast. I've recultured coopers for ales but never worried about cell counts etc. I have a vial of WLP833 dated best before september 1, 2013.

The Mr Malty calculator is suggesting that for one vial I will need to make a 6.29l starter, which seems an awful lot for a 15l batch. I entered .15 hectolitres and moved the growth factor slide until it registered for 1 vial.

Does this seem right? If not, what am I doing wrong with Mr Malty? Apologies if I'm missing the obvious but but I want to make sure I have it right before I proceed. I have read people suggesting 4l starters for 23l batches of lager so the result threw me off.

What temperature will you be pitching/fermenting with?

11*C has been suggested to me. I have temp control.

I did a stepped 1.5 liter to 3 liter starter (stirred every 6 or so hours) using a pack of the Wyeast kolsch. There was 4 months left on the use-by date. I had a good strong ferment at 14 degrees average. Hope that helps.

Oh and I should point out that I will be making the starters in old 2l pet bottles and without a stir plate.

edit: Cheers Mardoo.

ploto said:
Oh and I should point out that I will be making the starters in old 2l pet bottles and without a stir plate.
Just give it a good swirl every few hours. This made a noticeable difference in my pre-stirplate starters.

PS: My OG on the batch I mentioned was 1.052 and FG was 1.007.

If you have a stir plate, 2 L is plenty.

If you don't have a stir plate, you'd need to make a 2 L starter, decant, then make another 2 L starter (if you only have a 2 L starter capacity) and pitch at high krausen.

That is to get optimal an optimal pitch according to yeastcalc.com

Yep that's what I've done with the coopers re-cultures I've done in the past.

Not sure about the temp, I was told 11*C but now I'm finding a lot of recommendations for 14 - 15*C

IMO make a 2 L starter and shake it when you can.
Pitch that into 14-15°C. Less faffing.

Well fark me, the FWK is a bock not a kolch! Dunno why I had that in my head. I actually went in to get a porter or stout but they had none so I got the only dark beer they had.

Does this change anything?

Sorry for the confusion, that's what running out of beer does to me. And I thought the shaking fingers was from the cold...

Shouldn't, but FIIK how a kolsch yeast would do in a dark beer, but I'd love to hear what others with more experience think.

Bock should be fermented at low temps. The same advice as above applies really.

I've never used that yeast but I'd probably just go at 14-15°C with a 2 L starter, same as before.

If you're keen for another bock type beer then reuse the yeast and you'll see if there is much difference between fermentation temps in a bock.

Latest posts

Back