Starter Fg At 1014

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A3k

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I just created a 2lt starter from some slurry of WY1272 (American Ale II).

The starters were made using 200gm dry malt and made to 2lt (beersmith says thisll be around 1.038). Also added a teaspoon of nutrient. I didnt measure OG.

The starter fermented out quick on the stirplate. I then steped it up to 5lt.

This seemed to ferment out really quick so I wasnt 100% sure it fermented. So I took a hydro sample. It was at 1.014. I left it for another day on the stir plate and it was steady.

I was concerned by this, so decanted the beer off the yeast and put another 2lt of wort onto it without the stir plate. It was bubbling almost straight away, so I was convinced it was active.

Overnight it seemed to complete, but stopped at 1.014. I put it on the stir plate again. 2 days later, its still at 1.014

I dont usually measure the FG of my starters, so I dont know if this is usual, but Ive this has only provided an attenuation of 63%. Im planning on making a double batch of IPA at 1.064, and I dont want it to stop at 1.023.

I have a spare Activator of American Ale II, but I dont think I have enough time to make a starter for 55lt by tomorrow.

Any advice? Maybe Im being paranoid. If i hadn't checked the OG, i wouldn't have noticed.

Thanks,
Alan

Wheneer i did extract brews they always finished higher then expected, maybe its the same with starters. As long as you got heaps of healthy yeast does it really matter?

Probably just the extract - it usually has a higher amount of unfermentable sugaz. I dont bother checking the FG of my starters/yeast step-ups, as long as they are visibly doing their thing and it smells ok ;)

cool,
i'll use it and see how it goes. 63% just seemed really low.

Back