started first brew.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GOBLIN

Reaction score
Bought a coopers beer kit with the plastic fermenter and made this one:

Morgans iron bark dark ale 1.7kg
Coopers amber liquid malt 1.5kg
Coopers beer enhancer 1 1kg
goldings finishing hops 15g

made this mix to 20Litres and added yeast that came with iron bark can at 26degrees. OG measured at 1065.
Been in fermenter now for 24 hours and got a big foamy head and sediment in the bottom of fermenter.

cant wait to see how this one turns out, tasted when measured OG and it was very very tasty. Any idea on expected alcohol content?

Will bottle after 2 weeks, and let mature for 2 months..........hopefully!

Will post on progress of brew soon.

I'd be getting another yeast in there if the kit yeast is all you used, 1 pack of kit yeast is not likely to get through all the sugar in that batch.
Get your temp down if you can, 18-20 would be much better.
Expect to finish around 1020....ABV around 6.2% in the bottle....
get yourself a copy of Ian's spreadsheet...do a search, Im useless at putting up links...

The spreadsheet is brilliant. It's already saved me from a massively underdone English Bitter and gives a great insight into what to expect. Highly recommended.

Hey guys,

Have been looking at the Coopers Stout, considering I normally pipm brews a little bit what extras would you reccomend to chuck in with it?

temp of wort is about 20- 22 all the time now, might add another yeast in tonight.........should i just sprinkle on top or mix it in to the brew?

Josho said:
Hey guys,

Have been looking at the Coopers Stout, considering I normally pipm brews a little bit what extras would you reccomend to chuck in with it?
I haven't made the Coopers Stout myself, but a mate did, adding only BE2...by memory.
It came out thin bodied and a little 'under done' for me, more like a dark lager, similar to Matilda Bay Dogbolter for mine...it was nice but not a stout.
I think it needs a can of extract if going to 23L or straight LDM 1kg or DDM and go 20L.

Cheers 4 the reply buddy,

yeah i was thinking a tin of straight extract might help it along a bit, get it towards the coopers stouty taste,

I read somwhere else that it improves with about 6 months in the bottle, i dont think I could wait that long :)

4 days in the fermenter and reading is 1030, smells and tastes like it should.

Latest posts

Back