Start Up All Grain Equipment

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve floyd

Reaction score
Im looking to make the next step and progress my limited brewing skills from extract cans to ll grain brewing
Im considering Kegland's 35 litre Brewzilla unit, it seems to be a good package.
Can the members here give me some guidance on what equipment i will need to get started in addition to this unit?
Also what other options avialable on limited budget $500-$1000

you will need a boiler/hlt of some sort for sparging

grain mill to crush the grain if you want to do that yourself

a good decent mash paddle , the paddle that comes with a starter kit for extract brewing is not the greatest for all grain brewing

most of your extract brewing equipment can be used as well

Im looking to make the next step and progress my limited brewing skills from extract cans to ll grain brewing
Im considering Kegland's 35 litre Brewzilla unit, it seems to be a good package.
Can the members here give me some guidance on what equipment i will need to get started in addition to this unit?
Also what other options avialable on limited budget $500-$1000

First get temp control of fermentation
An old working fridge with a temp controller and heat belt will cost little and improve your beer lots
I got my old fermentation fridge on a council cleanup for free

Next: Go all grain
You can brew in a bag BUT a Brewzilla or Guten are easier more consistant and both about the same cost as a basic BIAB system.
I have a Brewzilla, it works. I have a friend with Braumiester, it's better. the beer is equal.
You need a paddle, a digi thermometer, Scales for hop measuring, a 5l plastic jug will be useful and a few meters of silicon tubing.
I use a large pot on a burner for sparge water.
No chill will save you time, for that you will need a 20L Cube must be suitable for 95deg water.
Use basic tested receipies I started with SMASH beers
Use a home brew shop to supply milled grain to suit your grain bill. ( kegland & lots others can do this & the difference in milled grain will last a week)

Then after several brews get a receipie software package ( Beersmith or similiar)

Then after a lot more brews get a mill & purchase bulk grain to mill to your recepies

You should be able to get all the hardware for under $1000.00
I think a staged approach is better

Latest posts

Back