starsan in fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fletcher

bibo ergo sum
Reaction score
hey guys.

tomorrow i'm planning on on bottling an IPA i've made, and tonight as i was checking it over i had noticed a few things i was a bit worried about.

i used a blow off tube with the end of the tube into an open 1.25L cola bottle with about 4-500ml of starsan - the end of the tube was sitting in this so as to not let oxygen in.

i had crash chilled the beer for 5 days, and stupidly didn't remove the blow off tube while it cooled so a lot of starsan slowly crept up the tube. it didn't go in...until i picked the bottle up and the suction ended up sucking in a bit of the starsan into my beer.

i know starsan is okay when used just before a brew in the fermenter and such, but could 100ish to 200ish mL ruin a batch? the starsan was sitting open in that bottle for 2 1/2 weeks is all.

i hastily opened the lid of the fermenter and all the remaining starsan drained, but this let a nice load of oxygen inside it...would that be ok too?

kinda panicked, but i think i should be ok. any thoughts? RDWHAHB?

Back