Star San marks on kitchen bench

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewy

Reaction score
Hi all

I recently sprayed my kitchen benches with Star San to rehydrate yeast & throw a cube into the fermenter. I didn't wipe it off at the end and the missus has discovered spray stains all over which she cannot remove.... I'm not scared of her or anything, I rule the roost, just curious from a scientific point of view, has anyone done this?

If so, how did you remove stains? Can they be removed? Shit!!! Gotta go, here she comes, not allowed to use the Internet on weekends...

If you have stone benchtops what you need to do is to find a friendly local burglar, ( actually, before you do that, make sure your insurance is up to date, especially coverage for stone bench tops.) and arrange for him to burgle the place and smash up your benchtop. Then claim this on insurance

This will be much easier than explaining that those marks are in there for good and will never polish out

It happened with diluted StarSan? I've had it etch into the reconstituted stone benchtop with undiluted StarSan and I believe it happened to someone else on this forum also, but so far no problem with diluted.

I'd be inclined to contact the manufacturer if you know who that is.

Stewy,

You are screwed, mate.

I did the same thing on our really expensive dining table.......starsan splotches in one area. It sort of took the varnish off. It is a distressed look table (we have kids), so in a move of a mad man, I replicated the marks in other areas to make them look consistent. Balls and all move which paid off.....Boss Girl has never mentioned it. that was maybe 18 months ago, and I live in fear that she will mention it some day. Bad dreams, sleeplessness etc,

Looks like you might be struggling old mate. Probably won't see you around here for a while......banned for 6 months.

Anthony

Don't know about dilute but full strength eats the top of laminate.

AJS2154 said:
...Boss Girl has never mentioned it. that was maybe 18 months ago, and I live in fear that she will mention it some day.
Just use the old "Fucked if I know" defence

i know the feeling. our kitchen's quartz stone or whatever it's called benchtop has an undiluted phosphoric acid etching thanks to me. the mrs wasn't happy. you could spray the whole benchtop to make it ALL like that, but...i wouldn't haha

this is why you can't have nice things stewy! :p

Phosphoric acid is used to clean grout haze off tiles and mortar stains off brickwork, so it's certainly got the oomph to bugger up surfaces. However, you would expect that a kitchen top would be resistant to at least a bit of acid. How do these benchtops fare with lemon juice or vinegar spills?

Natural stone is very susceptible to anything acidic. We stayed at a friends place where they had some kind of natural stone and some strawberries on the bench left a mark.

We are redoing our kitchen but not going anywhere near stone.

Yeah, I think I'm fucked boys... I was extremely liberal with my starsan addition during dilution... To the point that I was almost choking with every spray.... Airborne phosphoric acid diluted properly shouldn't almost kill a mammal of my size

Oh well... May as well drink a few more of these Ballast Point Big Eyes & then share the news that basically all of you bastards gave me bad advice...

Cheers

That's the spirit! Blame the bloody Internets. :lol: :p

stewy said:
Oh well... May as well drink a few more of these Ballast Point Big Eyes & then share the news that basically all of you bastards gave me bad advice...

Cheers
Yep, good standard operating procedure stewy.....blame somebody else.

The only thing I would say is be strategic about who you blame. If you blame the internet knuckleheads, she will discourage your participation. I would recommend you blame one of your many mates she already doesn't like......and suggest you should have researched the procedure better on a reputable website like......AHB. That way you are still allowed on here, and she just amps up the hate campaign on some bloke she already dislikes. Nothing lost.

Just trying to help, Bro. Good luck. Anthony

Caustic soda and wood bench tops don't mix either.. Luckily it was the missus to did it but at least timber can be sanded back I guess.

I had an issue with staining my brand new Caesar Stone bench tops when I was installing them I got black sikaflex on it which soaked into and stained the white stone. I was advised to use jif as it has a little grit to it and acts like a cutting compound followed by a wipe down with ajax and it worked a treat took out all of the stains and SWMBO was none the wiser.

Best of luck with it stewy.

I have used acetone to remove oil stains from stone previously.

- soak paper towel in acetone and place over stain
- put glad wrap over paper towel and sticky tape edges for a somewhat air tight seal
- leave overnight

The acetone draws out the oil, may or may not work with star san but don't think it could hurt to try.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back