Stalling The Boil When Sparging

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Just wondering what you fellow Biabers do when adding your sparge water to the boil? Usually my first sparge is added before boiling has started, but my second sparge is ready once boiling has commenced.

Is it okay to just tip half in and stall the boil for ten minutes or so, then again at around 20 mins left to top up for evap loss? I have been adding it in small doses but it takes bloody ages and is a PITA.

I would just continue your process as normal, but only add your hops once your full volume is in the Urn and up to the boil.

My 3V setup is similar, I have the elements in the kettle going, getting the wort up to the boil then pump the 2nd/3rd runnings into the kettle even after boiling has started.

I would just continue your process as normal, but only add your hops once your full volume is in the Urn and up to the boil.

My 3V setup is similar, I have the elements in the kettle going, getting the wort up to the boil then pump the 2nd/3rd runnings into the kettle even after boiling has started.

Problem is I will reach almost full volume with my fist sparge and after second sparge I top up again but I reserve the rest of my second sparge for adding at around 20 mins left to allow for evap loss and by then most of my hop additions are done.

I crank up my burner and pour sparge in slowly. If you do it right you don't stall the boil.

I don't think you can crank up an urn much tho ;)

I crank up my burner and pour sparge in slowly. If you do it right you don't stall the boil.

I don't think you can crank up an urn much tho ;)

Yeh and thats the problem I have to stand there pouring it very slowly, waiting for it to boil rapidly again then pouring a bit more in.
I was actually thinking of making something that allows it to drip in slowly via a tube. I boil on my bar fridge which is next to another larger fridge, so I could put a cube on top of the big fridge with a tube down into the urn and let it drip in slowly via the tap. Then Im free to do other things.

But if it was confirmed on here that stalling the boil for ten minutes isnt that big a deal then I would just do that and not worry about it.

Back