Stalled Or Finished ?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuckie

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've done 17 brews so far and have now had one I'm not sure of.
I can't work out if it's stalled or finished.
It's a LCPA I've done before, but this one has 300g more sugars in it.
The last time i did it the SG was 1048 and the FG was 1010.
The brew has a SG of 1051 (probably due to the extra sugars) and its now sitting constantly at 1018.
The problem I had with the current brew was that I cooked it at the start by using a new belt heater I got. The first night it got up to 30deg before I noticed it the next morning. As you'd expect it was fermenting like mad!
I got it back down to 24 deg with cold towels etc but it seemed to have fermented out pretty quickly over the next day or so.
Its now been 18 days since it was brewed and sitting at 1018 still. I've given it a slosh and taken it from 22 to 24 degree with seemingly no activity. I also used the Morgans kit yeast instead of the US05 yeast I used in the original one.
What's the call - finished or stalled ?
Bottle or wait ?
The ingred were:
1 tin Morgans Golden Saaz Pilsener
1.25kg Brew Improver
250g Corn Syrup
150g Dried Wheat Malt
Kit Yeast
15g Cascade and 15g Williamette @ 2mins
21 litres total
Cheers,
Andrew

I reckon you're good to bottle. You've kept it in the right temp range for long enough that if the yeasties were going to do any more they would have. Maybe the extra sugar and different yeast is making the difference (I doubt you killed the yeast with heat at the start because you said it kept fermenting after that). The kit yeast might not have been as viable as the one you used previously either.

I reckon you're good to bottle. You've kept it in the right temp range for long enough that if the yeasties were going to do any more they would have. Maybe the extra sugar and different yeast is making the difference (I doubt you killed the yeast with heat at the start because you said it kept fermenting after that). The kit yeast might not have been as viable as the one you used previously either.
Spot on i'd reckon, the kit yeast is likely quite different in terms of attenuation, so you really can't expect the same number for your FG. With kit yeast in it for 18 days, you're ready to bottle.

Why did you need a heat belt this time of year?

Spot on i'd reckon, the kit yeast is likely quite different in terms of attenuation, so you really can't expect the same number for your FG. With kit yeast in it for 18 days, you're ready to bottle.

Why did you need a heat belt this time of year?

Thanks guys, my gut said it was good but my brain said double check :p
Heat belt - had a few cold nights here and the fermenters are in the spare bathroom where its even cooler. AND the heat belt was new so thought I'd test it out. But, yes, don't need it here ATM. Lesson learnt ;)
Thanks

Back