Stalled Brew -apa

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardo

Reaction score
G'day all,

Brewing an American Pale Ale from a brewcraft kit:

1.5kg Black Rock IPA can
1.5kg Black Rock Light LME
500g light dry malt
25g Perle & 25g Willamette hops
Safale U05

As per instructions, heated LME and dry malt with approx. 2.5l water, brought to boiling, added hops, simmered for 3min and let stand for approx. 45min. Added to fermenter with IPA can and filled with wter. Pitched yeast at around 27deg. and brewed at around 18-20 deg. (not dropped below 18deg.)
OG - 1035

No movement in airlock which I guessed may be a leak. Tightened lid (did not remove lid)
After 5 days SG - 1017
7 days - 1017
Swirled fermenter to shake up yeast and waited another 3 days (still no airlock movement) SG still 1017.

What to do? Take off lid and stir? Add more yeast? Rack to secondary and see what happens? Any advice would be welcomed.

Hop-Along

G'day all,

Brewing an American Pale Ale from a brewcraft kit:

1.5kg Black Rock IPA can
1.5kg Black Rock Light LME
500g light dry malt
25g Perle & 25g Willamette hops
Safale U05

As per instructions, heated LME and dry malt with approx. 2.5l water, brought to boiling, added hops, simmered for 3min and let stand for approx. 45min. Added to fermenter with IPA can and filled with wter. Pitched yeast at around 27deg. and brewed at around 18-20 deg. (not dropped below 18deg.)
OG - 1035

No movement in airlock which I guessed may be a leak. Tightened lid (did not remove lid)
After 5 days SG - 1017
7 days - 1017
Swirled fermenter to shake up yeast and waited another 3 days (still no airlock movement) SG still 1017.

What to do? Take off lid and stir? Add more yeast? Rack to secondary and see what happens? Any advice would be welcomed.

Hop-Along

I dont know your original volume but if its 23l then the OG of 1035 is wrong. Should be more like 1053... or more.
I reckon the 1017 is probably the end SG that you could expect.

Put into secondary and maybe rise the temp to 22 for 3 days then bottle or keg if no change in SG.
But I would say you could bottle as is.

I dont know your original volume but if its 23l then the OG of 1035 is wrong. Should be more like 1053... or more.
I reckon the 1017 is probably the end SG that you could expect.

Put into secondary and maybe rise the temp to 22 for 3 days then bottle or keg if no change in SG.
But I would say you could bottle as is.

Thanks for that, I checked my notes for 3 previous brews and they had OG of 1048-1052 with FG of 1017-1022 (that's why we keep notes eh?) so I guess 1035 may have been wrong. I was planning to rack to secondary anyway, if I do that on Saturday, after 13 days in primary how long can I leave in secondary? Should I just go straight to bottle?

Thanks for that, I checked my notes for 3 previous brews and they had OG of 1048-1052 with FG of 1017-1022 (that's why we keep notes eh?) so I guess 1035 may have been wrong. I was planning to rack to secondary anyway, if I do that on Saturday, after 13 days in primary how long can I leave in secondary? Should I just go straight to bottle?
Well have a look how clear it is. It might be clear or still a bit cloudy.
If you want to get rid of the yeast put into secondary and chill to 4C and add gelatine (see the how to gelatine thread) and let settle for 2 days then bottle. Otherwise just bottle and dont bother with secondary.

Bit of a hijack - but similar experience...

My first AG BIAB just hit the barriers at 1020 (racked into secondary today...) - it started at way over 1050 (I boiled too long, but thought sod it - and it tasted nice!!). I don't think 1020 is going to poison anyone (bit sweet tho...).
I dropped a bit of wort into a jug and stirred in a bit of the yeast cake - warmed it a bit and it started bubbling, so I'll leave it in the secondary (with a quilt - on the outside...) and see what happens.
Too many hop flowers in the primary (dunno - but there's shed load of them, maybe I needed a nutrient of some sort...see below!!)? S-04 not strong enough (i thought the wort had been well aerated, and I pitched what I thought was a decent starter)? Too cold (nope - started at 22 - 20 now)? I had too many unfermentable sugars in there (nope, no crystal or roasted malts)? I just reckon it's done, expecting the final gravity to be 25/35 percent of the original...

Yours? - give it time i guess... - what does your Hydrometer measure in a glass of the water you used (Tap/filter/bottle?), it should measure 1.000.
If you heated the water there may not have been enough dissolved oxygen (powdered yeast contains glycols, so it doesn't need much O2 initially re-pitching new yeast may kick start the process).
Add a nutrient - I'm not sure you want to get into Amylase Enzymes, if there's any extra stuff other than Malt, then maybe - i guess I'll get shot down for that...:)

Give it a few more days - GENTLY try and agitate the yeast back into suspension (spin the carbouy/bucket/fermeter without splashing) - or maybe re-pitch with Nottingham (partly joking!!)...

Latest posts

Back