Stalled 34/70

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Made a biab German pils.
3.0 kg weyerman pils
1.6 kg marris otter
500g boiled rice.
Mashed @64 for 60min
Raised 72c for 10min.
52g hallertau @60 min
30g hallertau @0
Cubed dunked in pool to chill.
Made a 1lt starter from 1 pkt 34/70 feed and shake method in 2lt pet bottle.
Pitched at 13c fridge control blinked out came back 4 hours after at 5 c no movement.
Moved cube into air con room next morning nothing.
Think I've under pitched or has it just lagged due to cold temp ?

Was the starter fermented out?

If I make a starter from dry yeast I typically just use a small portion of the package. So if I was in your position, I would have used a quarter of the package and gone with a 2 litre starter. I'll even split a starter once it is fermented out and make several new starters out of it. Putting the yeast through several generations should give you better ester production, if that is what you are chasing.

Of course, if you just made a starter to ensure an active yeast pitch it is a different matter. If that is the case, don't stress because it will probably be ok as is.

Cheers Hoppy/Razz no it was really half starter re hydration as i didnt leave it long enough to build up.
All ok now as its off to the races for the ferment .
The old ferment fridge i rigged up with an old standard coolroom tstat went out of calibration and didnt shut off so it chilled the wort right down ,let it sit up to 12c gave it some aeration and boom.
First brew for awhile pays to check your equipment after letting it sit dorment.

Latest posts

Back