Stalled 3068

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1149913

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I recently brewed a wiezenbock - 1.068 OG. Pitched 2L starter of 3068 which took off like a rocket. I dropped 10 points in 12 hours. Unfortunately being a top fermenter it turns out i didn't have enough headspace. Massive blowoff and now fermentation has pretty much stalled at 1.043.

What can i do?

Need more info about temperatures, there should be more than enough healthy yeast to continue ferment if it took off so well. however that is dependent on temperature control.

what temp did you pitch?

what is current temp?

do you have temp control?

Full temperature controlled. I run a Tilt so i can watch ferment temps and gravity live. Pitched around 23 and has been at 20 +/- 0.5 since Sat night. Was at 1.043 at 6:30pm last night and is currently at 1.040 (12:15pm).

I'm talking serious blowoff - look at the yeast pellet in my bottle

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 12.14.15 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-27 at 12.14.15 pm.png
    872.9 KB · Views: 89
3068 is one of the angriest yeasts out there. I've seen it literally blow out of the airlock and hit the ceiling and necessitated my introduction to blowoff tubes. I've also harvested 10 month old yeast with a slurry repitch that chewed down to 1.004 in days. I've never heard of it stalling before. If you're using Tilt to tell you the gravity take a hydro sample and see what you get - I'm guessing some krausen has got stuck on it or something.

Fermentation has slowed, not stalled. Maybe be a bit patient. Measuring with hydrometer or refractometer? If the latter are you correcting for alcohol presence?

Don't know what tilt is but have you calibrated it or checked it? Confident it's reading true? If it did blow off that much yeast, just get some more in an active starter.

Latest posts

Back