Stainless V Brass

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petechallis

Reaction score
Hi all I'm currently building up my equipment for AG
For constructing a esky mash tun, is there any difference between stainless and brass fittings?

Yes.

Stainless fittings are made of stainless steel.

Brass fittings are made of a copper alloy.

What specifically are you wondering might be different?

Both can be used safely in your system if you are just wanting to know that.

Stainless is expensive but won't (if it's properly put together and treated well) ever corrode or leach anything into the brew. Brass is cheaper, may contain (tiny weeny) amounts of lead (that can be treated with acid if you are scared or care) and doesn't look as pretty.

Any other differences could probably be googled.

I have brass and zinc in my tun, stainless in my kettle. If you have the money, stainless is great, if you don't, brass will suffice.

Stainless is expensive but won't (if it's properly put together and treated well) ever corrode or leach anything into the brew. Brass is cheaper, may contain (tiny weeny) amounts of lead (that can be treated with acid if you are scared or care) and doesn't look as pretty.

2 parts white vinegar to 1 part 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (from the chemist's) if you're concerned, although the amount of lead in brass is so small you may as well not worry about it.

I have stainless, brass, copper and until recently high carbon steel (EN26a for anyone metallugically inclined) parts in my brewery and have noted no ill effects.

Bet you one leg is slightly shorter than the other when you measure with a measuring tape?

Huh?

Yeah thought so.

Bet you one leg is slightly shorter than the other when you measure with a measuring tape?

Huh?

Yeah thought so.

Do I know you? How could you know I suffer from severe Scoliosis otherwise?

I'm the 17 year old from bunnings who watched you limp awkwardly down aisle 18 after I TOLD you that brass would **** you up.

Didn't listen.

Thought pimply Joe didn't know what he was talking about when he said buy the most expensive thing in the shop or you will die a horrible, painful pustule filled death, starting with alternating limb lengths.

Now you wish you listened to that Christian preacher/crazy dude outside or at least took one of his pamphletts don't you??

TOO LATE FOR YOU

For constructing a esky mash tun, is there any difference between stainless and brass fittings?
<silverfoilhat>
Plastic chemicals are going to leech out of the esky anyway, so just use brass its cheaper, a bit of lead and other bad-stuff in your beer wont make much of a difference.
</silverfoilhat>

My first mashtun was an esky, with a copper manifold and brass fittings, it worked fine, who knows if it did me any harm. :)

Bunnings? All my brass comes from the scrap bin at work. Mind you, the 1/4" BSP nut on my thermowell was wrapped in a Jack Chick tract when I found it.

Ok cool so pretty much it's all cosmetic, just wanted to know before I spent my cash :)
Thanks all

Brass is also easier to undo.

Besides the SS parts that I already have, I tend to get brass now, especially for fittings that need to some off often, if slight deformities in the SS thread (due to welding etc) screw up the threads on the brass fitting, they are cheap to replace. btw, did the vinegar n all that crap thing, nothing leached out.

Back