Stainless Steel Stock Pot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boots

Reaction score
I've just found out that I can get a 50L Stainless Steel stockpot, industrial kitchen qual (ie. fully enclosed alumium base for heat spread etc, with lid), for $150 + GST. Brand new through a channel at work who sells this kind of stuff to kitchens / hosps etc. 36L was a bit cheaper at $120 +GST.

I'm pretty sure that this is a good price - but is it that good a price that I should forget about other alternatives (ie. kegs, urns etc) ??

Here's a link to the products info (WSS50 and WSS36).

If anyone actually wants one let me know, I could probably swing them around to letting me get staff price for multiple purchases.

cheers
Boots

PS: I also thought of using one of these perforated SS baking trays for a false bottom for my esky, buit they're too large for the esky I have at the mo'

Sounds perfect. If I had a lazy $150 I'd get one right now.

Boots I'll jump at that if I were you , you will of course have to fit a value , but hey you don't have to make a lid
Looks really nice , if I did'nt have my converted keg I would be in like flin

May want to have a look at those digital pocket thermometers too. may be handy.
Lovely pots.

JD

Pots in boots

I would buy the 70 ltr to use as a kettle - can do double batches.

Buy the 36ltr to use as a Mash tun. This will allow you to heat the mashes up and can mash double batches.
There is a company in Sydney that sell really good insulation that will stick to it to make it more efficient.
Or, make your own insulated/foil cover.

I would then get SS Ball Valves - i can help you there or talk to GSRMan and also get some False Bottoms....one for each pot.

What price can you get these for
Heavy duty 18/8 stainless steel (1.5mm diameter holes) conical strainers
Interested in 200,230,250 & 300 sizes - note that these are the right size holes - eg 1.5mm. the course strainers at 2.3mm holes are too big.

Hope this helps....let me know the price on the strainers.
Might be able to barter for one or 2 SS Ball Valves.

those 40ltr urns look good. You could temp control you mash, (at least from my very inexperience eyes).

I maybe interested in one of the pots (36L), boots. Cant tell just now sorry.

Can anyone tell whats better as a mash tun. I just about to build one. An esky with a manifold or a pot on a stove?

Wedge :chug:

Rubbermaid with a boozka screen........why.......... cos that's what I got !
B)

wedge said:
Can anyone tell whats better as a mash tun. I just about to build one. An esky with a manifold or a pot on a stove?

They both have advantages and disadvantages. For simplicity's sake, esky with manifold is the go. Pot on heat offers more versatility in temperature control, but requires constant supervision and stirring for the mash, which isn't a whole lot of fun.

wedge said:

I bought a 10 Gallon Rubbermaid cooler - from Grumpys - 150.00
Bought a 10 inch - SS false bottom - 12 inch fits better

I can or GSRMan can supply you with the ss ball valves that exactly fit into the predrilled hole in the cooler - comes with a nut and tail setup - perfect for attaching into the screen.

If this sounds too hard and expensive - then go the bucket in a bucket route.
Drill 1.5mm holes in the bottom of the plastic buckets that you can buy to put flour in.

Hope this helps.

I have a 44 litre esky without a tap hole. I'm making a manifold with a rising pipe that attaches to a thin hose. Lautering is done by siphoning.
Easy, cheap and you can still use the esky as an esky.

PostModern said:
I have a 44 litre esky without a tap hole. I'm making a manifold with a rising pipe that attaches to a thin hose. Lautering is done by siphoning.
Easy, cheap and you can still use the esky as an esky.
I have a similar setup with a smaller esky. It works well, but I would rather an esky with a tap. I don't have half the money available for a 'bells and whistles' setup though.

GMK said:
I can or GSRMan can supply you with the ss ball valves that exactly fit into the predrilled hole in the cooler - comes with a nut and tail setup - perfect for attaching into the screen.
GMK

Do those SS ball valves also fit the 5 gallon Rubbermaid? Also, will the nut and tail setup suit the Phils Phalse Bottom? I have both of these and now only need a tap - if they would work with my setup I would be very interested in getting one.

Cheers

Xaeros

The valve should fit the 5 gallon.
Send GSRMAn an e-mail asking him for a price with a nut an tail on the back end.
This tail gets clamped onto Food Grade Line that goes to the elbow of the Phills False Bottom.

Any problems - let me know...

Just bought a keg for $40 from Grumpys. I have a manifold with a 40ltr esky (maybe too big). I have the copper to make a infusion chiller and have a 4 gas burner coming this christmas.

I'm almost setup!!! Just have to cut the lid on the keg and drill in a tap!!

Wedge

Latest posts

Back