Stainless Steel Scrubber In The Keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
Has anyone tried placing a stainless steel scrubber over the end of the pickup tube in the keg? Would it be then possible to add hops straight to the keg? This would make kegging just that little bit easier for me, as currently i do a french press addition into the keg, rather than dry hop.

If so, what brand of scrubbers work? The scrubbers i buy(el cheapo) seem to rust and i wouldn't realy want that in my beer.

Has anyone tried placing a stainless steel scrubber over the end of the pickup tube in the keg? Would it be then possible to add hops straight to the keg? This would make kegging just that little bit easier for me, as currently i do a french press addition into the keg, rather than dry hop.

If so, what brand of scrubbers work? The scrubbers i buy(el cheapo) seem to rust and i wouldn't realy want that in my beer.

Hey mate. I hope others can chime in with positive feedback. Myself, I tried it and failed. haha I tried stretching/slightly pulling it apart to increase the flow potential, but nothing I did helped - it just kept on clogging up. I'd be more inclined to use a length of swiss voile (or other synthetic material with appropriate threads per inch) - unless there is a way to make the scrubby work.

Search scourerer.

Thay fail pretty quckly generally

Ekul,

We have a solution, just give me a call.

cheers Ross

Not sure what style of system you're using ekul, but just thought I'd add: I've switched to using a hop spider and it all but eliminates the need for a hop screen. Something fine like some swiss voile will keep out the break material and not get blocked at all due to the hops being caught in the hop bag.

I'm going to see how I go with no pick up filter using the spider. If I feel I need something for the break material, I might just connect a length of silicon tube to the end of the copper pick up, drill holes through it and clamp a voile sock over it.

Ekul,

We have a solution, just give me a call.

cheers Ross

This man sells hop socks that have a mounting brace on top, so you just have to slide one length of dowel (or whatever) through and place ontop of your kettle. Easy done.

I enjoyed building my hop spider, but if I had've realised Ros had them pretty much ready-made, I'd probably have gone that path instead.

This man sells hop socks that have a mounting brace on top, so you just have to slide one length of dowel (or whatever) through and place ontop of your kettle. Easy done.

I enjoyed building my hop spider, but if I had've realised Ros had them pretty much ready-made, I'd probably have gone that path instead.
I'm talking about in the keg, not in the kettle. I throw my hops in commando and use a siphon to avoid them when draining to the cube. Its a real bitch when a flower gets stuck though.

Ross- are you talking about the tea balls?

I'm talking about in the keg, not in the kettle. I throw my hops in commando and use a siphon to avoid them when draining to the cube. Its a real bitch when a flower gets stuck though.

Ross- are you talking about the tea balls?

I'm thinking a little floaty thing B)

RANDALL

View attachment 53159

Converted to randall

2 X 1" to 1/2" brass reducing bushes, Bunnings
2 X 1/2" brass plugs, Bunnings
2 X 1/2" O-Rings, Bunnings
2 X 1/4" Push in fittings, Keg-King

Blue plumbers tape to seal thread.

1/4" tap used on lathe to cut thread into plugs to make 1/2" to 1/4" reducing bushes.

Approx total cost = $22 for all fittings, $20 for filter
Thread tapped for free :)

I hope this helps someone trying to figure out where to get/make the fittings locally. The plugs only get 2 threads, the heads aren't super thick. But it seems to hold pretty well with tape and at worst, thread locker.
1/4" tap, was in a pack of 3-4 at the green shed for $10, with hand tap tool costing $15 if that comes to that.

Sorry. Totally misread your post! Tea ball is the go - unless you want to add a Randall to your line.

Back