Stainless Steel Fridge Shanks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thunderlips

Reaction score
I've just got a couple of the 6 inch versions from the states. Expensive buggers!
After comparing them to the old el-cheapo shanks that are already in the fridge door I can't seem to see any obvious difference, looks wise.
I also seem to have trouble telling the difference between SS and chrome grundy taps.
Yep, you could sell me a chrome grundy and tell me it's SS and I'd be none the wiser. Is there any obvious way to tell the difference?
I'd have a guess and say the el-cheopo shanks are brass that are probably chrome plated, buggered if I can pick them though.

If the 2 shanks are identical size/ shape etc, the stainless one will weigh slightly less.
Also if you look into the inside surfaces and small nooks and crannys, the chrome plated one will show signs where the chrome plating has failed to reach. The stainless one will show no such thing. Otherwise, if you can find a suitable place you can do a scratch test to check for the chrome plating.

vlbaby said:
If the 2 shanks are identical size/ shape etc, the stainless one will weigh slightly less.
[post="79321"][/post]​

Thanks for that.
When I take the old shanks out of the fridge, when I get my shiny new ventmatic taps :), I'll check the weight and have a look inside.

Back