Stainless Steel Fermenting bucket for Kombucha

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamar

Reaction score
I brew kombucha which is a fermented tea. I started fermenting it in 3L glass jars, I ended up having 12 jars going and decided it was time to upgrade my setup. So I bought 17L stock pots. I have now outgrown those and am looking at something more like 60L.
The Kombucha only ferments in the pot for just over a week and then its bottled. I have to pour it into a plastic fermenting beer keg to bottle it as I don't have taps on the pots. This is a bit tedious and annoying.

What I am looking for is a 60L high quality 304 stainless pot with all 304 stainless ball valve tap that I can put a hose onto or something.
I don't really know much about fittings and such so if any of you have any suggestions that would be great.

Do any of you know of something available for purchase that's like that? I am looking at around $200

I was looking at one of these https://www.newerabrewing.com.au/ss-brewtech-fermenter.html but they are too small. They would be perfect otherwise.

It would be really great if there was a stainless steel one of these http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Home-Brew-2-Pieces-Window-Lid-30L-Fermenter-kit-Beer-Wine-Spirits-TAP-AIRLOCK/381020742156?_trksid=p2141725.c100338.m3726&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20141212152715%26meid%3De04fe7877f9f4c65bc883b60020e0627%26pid%3D100338%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D25%26sd%3D151450532944

The vessels don't need to be airtight, I put a cloth over the top as it needs to breathe.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Tamar

These would be good, they are 25L but you can get two for the price of one of the SS buckets you listed. They have good reports on the forum.

Probably better than a conical - bottomed vessel for kombucha as the "scoby" floats on the top of course.

The company in in Hervey Bay but good postage rates around the country. Give Martin a ring.

Sorry about the dud link, here's a screenshot, he might be low on stock.

ss mangrove jack.jpg

Olive Oil Containers make excellent fermenters...they might even come in larger sizes as well.
I have two 30 litre ones. :D

Winequip sell them, we did a bulk buy not long back on them.. about to do another on the stainless taps.

Yob said:
Winequip sell them, we did a bulk buy not long back on them.. about to do another on the stainless taps.
What diameter thread are the taps, Yob?

If a standard 1/2", and they pull apart for complete cleaning/sanitising, do you think they'd be a good replacement for the plastic ones we use on Coopers fermenters? Or would the metal threads cut into the plastic?

IM going to be having a look tonight but I suspect they marry perfectly, same size thread for sure, only question is the seal. Ive never had mine completely apart, just open it up all the way and chuck into the pressure cooker... best taps I ever used.

any idea what the 30L pots retail for?...not much info on the winequip website

Ring him mate, we got bulk buy prices and I honestly can't remember 94624777

From vague memory they were cheaper than the brew buckets, I got a 50l one though so again, I can't be sure

wynnum1 said:
Beer keg may be the cheapest .
Keg king was one of the options mentioned in the thread. Ferment in the keg and dispense as normal, or maybe add a tap via a welded connector.

Thanks for all your replies.
What's inside a keg? Is there a cylinder down the middle? I've never really seen one up close. I would have to cut the top off.
Are they stainless?

Tamar said:
Thanks for all your replies.
What's inside a keg? Is there a cylinder down the middle? I've never really seen one up close. I would have to cut the top off.
Are they stainless?
Stainless, through and through.

Sanke keg here:
keg.png

Latest posts

Back