Stainless Steel Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i am thinking of buying a 30 litre stainless steel pot for using as a fermenter,
reason is i think it can be cleaned easier and wont hide any nasties like plastic. looking at buying one with a lid and then drilling a hole in the bottom and installing a metal tap.

not sure about sealing the lid but i am thinking of drilling a hole and inserting the rubber o ring for the airlock, i dont think the lid will be airtight enough but after putting the wort in the vessel i am thinking of then glad wrapping around the stainless steel lid.

i think the stainless steel vessel will be free of the hidden nasties of plastic and be more user friendly.
fergi

I reckon a Fusti (olive oil) would be the go, you could steam it to get it sterile and they can be had for around $90 if you hunt around
Personally I'd forget lids and run it with glad wrap and a big rubber band.

Fusti30L.png

Hadn't heard of Fusti before BribieG mentioned it (thanks BribieG.)

Seems they might be a (very) low cost alternative to a "brewers" s/s fermenter.

This from www.oliveoilsource.com ...

Magical_Snap___2011.04.10_14.49___003.jpg

I am guessing that it would not make any difference in the fermenting apart from cleaning up

lol and give your brew set up a massive bling factor if you keep it nice and shiny

Get a proper drain/tap welded on. It won't cost much and the peace of mind will be worth it. With it welded on you can sanitise with heat, which is absolutely foolproof.

This is such a rich-man's toy. Make kit beer with a $6k gimmick ? Tell 'im he's dreaming.

Brand new kegerator, an electric urn and a pillowcase, a set of scales, couple of corny's, still leaves you five grand for a holiday to Belgium !

This is such a rich-man's toy. Make kit beer with a $6k gimmick ? Tell 'im he's dreaming.

Brand new kegerator, an electric urn and a pillowcase, a set of scales, couple of corny's, still leaves you five grand for a holiday to Belgium !

:huh: ? Had a couple thisarvo hey Silo Nanna? :D

No, but I am recovering from a big one.

Wrong thread :wacko:

I always wondered how an old tea urn would go as it already includes a heating element and a tap?
tea-urn.jpg

really just after a stainless steel vessel for fermenting, i reckon it wont get any hidden bugs hiding in the scratches that plastic fermenters may have, more for peace of mind and ease of cleaning.

bribie are you using stainless vessel,?.

fergi

Why not go down the route that seems to be the norm in the US - glass carboy/demijohn.

Same ease of sanitation as a stainless vessel and a lot cheaper. Although stainless wont smash and open an artery if you drop it i guess.

If sanitation is really your main concern... Then you need to have a triclover ferrule welded to that pot, and then a 3piece tap welded to the other half of the triclover fitting, so that the tap assembly can be pulled off and stripped down for sanitation after every brew. If you are going to go installing threaded taps and/or weldless fittings into a fermenter, they are probably more likely to hide bugs and critters than any light scratching in a plastic fermenter. I'd keep it simple and just siphon out of the pot if i were you. No tap means no sanitation issues caused by taps.

I use 'standard' fermenters - one of them is 3 years old, and going well. I'll shortly be getting a 60L

Or get a better bottle, they have some neat features. The fermenters are a decent price compared to carboys, the only downside is the massive cost of the accessories. To buy the tap+bung+airlock is double the cost of the fermenter (at least it is at G&G), thankfully none of them are mandatory.

I use 26L thin stainless stockpots. have done for a few years now. great. no drawbacks for me.

cheap to buy. most expensive bit is if you add a tap - which I did. I bought the standard spigots from US they use for kettles and tuns etc.

No worries for scratches so should last a lifetime.
If dropped they wont break. though if they dent they may rust I guess. then just replace with another one - cheap! you still have the tap.
They have handles welded on.
You can boil some water in them to heat and steam sanitise them for 15 mins. the steam should get into the tap as well to clean there. I normally throw in my oxygen stone and sanitise that at the same time.
Very easy to clean. Very easy to add finings etc.

Only possible downside some people might not like is that theres no option for airlock. but I havent used an airlock for years even when I used carboys. Just put the lid on and dont worry about it - the lids doesnt fit airtight so it allows co2 out and wont explode. If you do long secondaries then prob best not to use this I guess. I dont do them.

I reckon a Fusti (olive oil) would be the go, you could steam it to get it sterile and they can be had for around $90 if you hunt around
Personally I'd forget lids and run it with glad wrap and a big rubber band.

View attachment 45213

Hey Birbie where did you see these for $90 flick me a link or the supplier please

thanks

Hey Birbie where did you see these for $90 flick me a link or the supplier please

thanks

I haven't looked into buying one, just a Google Search on fusti and olive oil - however I'm sure they are available in Australia. If really serious about buying one I'm sure the Olive Oil Aussie Conglomerate or whoever coordinate the olive oil business in Australia would be happy to put you onto a supplier. Actually bought 3L of Aussie pure virgin last week and it's heavenly :icon_drool2:

The link from above
www.oliveoilsource.com ...

Back