Stainless Steel Conicals In Oz

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
hi all
for those that are interested and have long pockets i today emailed ibrew in qld who are importing the fermenator ss conicals from the usa.
pricing is as follows

55 litre fermenator $1180

108 litre fermenator $1450 currently all sold out.

check out there site for more info if your interested.

cheers
big d

thanks big d, just in time for tax refunds :lol:

big d said:
for those that are interested and have long pockets i today emailed ibrew in qld who are importing the fermenator ss conicals from the usa.
pricing is as follows

55 litre fermenator $1180

108 litre fermenator $1450 currently all sold out.
At that price, surely you could get a custom made one cheaper?

In the background of the picture at
tony2.jpg
you can see bits of a custom made one. I can try to find out how much it cost and where he got it fabricated.

yeah true sos but the trouble is the initial cost of the red metal spinning machine ;)

maybe some of the ahb members in qld could check the fermenters out at ibrew and supply feed back to us.

bloody hell that is an obscene price! Gotta be real keen for that price,

I'd have a look at importing direct or even those plastic conicals from the US are a fair whack cheaper.

Are you considering a big purchase bigd :)

i love ss stuff jasony.ive been keen on these for ages.reckon buying the bits from toledo metal spinners in the usa is way cheaper.then you buy the odds and ends local or usa and you end up heaps cheaper.
my mind is still open about which way to go and if the hand brake allows me the freedom of purchase. :(

BigD
if you ever look into getting them from TMS let me know. I emailed a couple of companys about freight last year and it was ridiculous, but if you find a feasable option I'd be in.
Hoops

sosman said:
sos
I am looking into it now and cost price for all material is about $350 + consumables + labour + markup. The catch being you need to buy full sheets of SS (1200mmX2400mm) which is enough to make 3 and costs about $1000. Then you need a TIG welder & the knowledge of how to use it.
Hoops

Like most brew gear it looks like it's cheaper to buy the Fermenator direct from the US.

The 7 gallon would be US$499 plus approx US$60 postage or bout AUS$800 delievered.

The 14.5 gallon would be US$509 plus approx US$60 postage (it weighs not much more) or about AUS$812 delivered.

And yes you should be able to send it through USP. I've had 4 x 5gallon kegs posted which was 43cmx43cmx64cm, the 7gallon Fermenator is 38cmx38cmx66cm. It also weighs about 7.6kgs less.

The 14.5gallon would be 47cmx47cmx77cm and still fits USP's maximum dimensions.

Even if it's $400-$600 cheaper, I still can't justify $800 for one fermentor.

On a practical note, you would need one mother of a fridge to keep it in for temp control!

Cheers
MAH

MAH said:
On a practical note, you would need one mother of a fridge to keep it in for temp control!

Cheers
MAH
My thoughts exactly.

Go the whole hog & get a glycol one - it's only money! :lol:

Murray said:
MAH said:

Cheers
MAH
My thoughts exactly.
They are similar dimensions to a 50L fermenter, just slighly taller due to the cone.

I thought that everyboby had glycol already?
Far more useful than a fridge.

dreamboat

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
Murray said:
MAH said:

Cheers
MAH
My thoughts exactly.
They are similar dimensions to a 50L fermenter, just slighly taller due to the cone.
Plus stand. It would be very awkward to set up in a fridge.

I thought the stand would be easy.
I was thinking 3 adjustable legs, 2 at the same height and one higher up so that it sits on the raised part at the back of the fridge (where the compressor is).
Have I overlooked something?

You probably limit the use of it if you wedge it into a small freezer ... would want to be sure you have ready access the the drain points at the bottom whereever you put it.

I guess you could fit a block and tackle above the freezer :p

hoopsunitedbrewery said:
sosman said:
sos
I am looking into it now and cost price for all material is about $350 + consumables + labour + markup. The catch being you need to buy full sheets of SS (1200mmX2400mm) which is enough to make 3 and costs about $1000. Then you need a TIG welder & the knowledge of how to use it.
Hoops
If I were even considering making one myself I would probably start with a 105 litre SS LPG tank from the local scrap yard for $100. I also feel sure that I could get sufficient scrap SS sheet to make the cone for <$50. I know one or two people who can TIG weld.

However if I didn't want to go the "homebrew" approach, the first thing I would do is contact Stainless Tanks and ask for a quote. If it cost me more than $500 I would be stunned.

Forget making a cone an wlelding it unless ur good at metal finishing as u have differnets surface levels good ofr bacterai ect to hid and i you wee to make on the cone would have to be at least be 1.6 gauge s/s and depends on the the type more likely 304 stainless and the around 16 gauge it be a bugger to shape and form
I hate working with stainless is a a harder metal.

mmmmmmm ;)
might try and roll a cone or two :D

cheers
conan the d

Latest posts

Back