Stainless Steel Conical Fermentors

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
A couple of these would look great in my brewhaus.
Check out thier site here.

Cheers,
Doc

7.1GalFermenator.jpg

Yes, I have been salivating over the thought of owning one of these for quite a while, but the prohibitive price puts me off every time. I have considered - and even looked into - getting one made up by a stainless welder somewhere. The lowest price I have seen for enough S/S do make a 60 litre will cost about $150, plus the cost for the valves and seals, then add labour to that. Even still it might be worth the effort.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

It's beautiful. $150 for the steel, eh? I'll be picking up a MIG for a car resto project I have going, so one day... maybe....

I just love the idea of doing primary and secondary fermentation in one vessel.

Post with the mig welder you may have problems unless u get stainless steel wire for the welder and if u can it wont be cheap . Maybe hire a tig welder that will do stainless it like using an oxy welder well iused one in trade school during my apprenticeship

I wonder if these guys would ship to Australia?
I like the look of this one (pic below). Still pretty pricey though.

I wonder how hard it would be to convert the Max-N-Fill units from these guys with the taps etc.?

Cheers,
Doc

PlasticConicalW_RackingPort.jpg

gday all
heres a different slant on conicals that may work out cheaper.www.toledometalspinning.com makes the blanks and lids.12.2 gallon is $152 us.
www.bobbrews sells all the fittings.
total cost all up about $385 us which is around $586 aust dollars not including freight.
far cheaper than buying direct from a usa brew shop.
im still working on the missus about getting one.

cheers all
big d B)

There is a great article here on building your own conical. Includes pictures etc as well.
Bit out of my capabilities though I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Doc

Pete

Do you ( or anyone else ) have any details of the conical you were going to build? ie sheet thickness, design, fittings etc. Was it 316, 304?
I have a mate who has done some S/S TIG welding for me at a good price (homebrew), and I'm impressed with the jobs he's done.
$150 plus fittings and "labour costs" sounds like a bloody good price to me. :) :) :)

Hoops

Got a quote today for the cone part of the conical fermenter.
$80 cash for material + labour to spin up.
Will get a quote for cylinder part + labour next.
Total cost will hopefully be around $200-$300 plus fittings. Not sure what type of lid, clear perspex? Welded SS with access hole? Depend on total cost I suppose.
Thanks for the link Doc, has been good reference material.
(I am looking at 316 SS 1.2mm sheet)

but why do you need one.

Surely temp controlling you fermenters in the frig is a better investment!

Tell me if i'm wrong..... i often am

I have to agree with you Wedge

And I want everything I see to do with brewing

right on wedge....

unless you spend big$ on a glycol jacketed one.
Ill get one one day though - It will look good standing proudly in the corner of my coolroom ;-) Ill get one of them one day too....

i'm in the same category batz only 6 months behind, when it comes to purchases !!!

I don't need one, I just want one, same as I don't need kegs or temp controlled fermenting fridge, or CFWC or CPBF.
I think a conical would be well worth the investment, and as I already have a temp controlled fermenting fridge it would live in there so i can control temp and do lagers. Make brewing quicker and easier.

the main advantage of a conical is that you can dump the trub outta the bottom v/v and not disturb the wort too much.
also with the upper v/v you can apparently adjust the pick up tube to either stay just above the wort when draining or take fresh(top layer) of yeast to further propagate for your next brew.
anyway i reckon the s/s versions look awesome.
do i need one...no
do i want one...yes
im a bower bird when it comes to shiny s/s brewing stuff.

cheers
big d

Bower bird - I like it :lol: :lol: :lol:
I have the same affliction.

I'm looking at a 65L conical from 316 SS probably 1.2mm.
After a bit more research looks like the conical will cost around $100 (SS sheet) + fittings + laser cutting.
Couple more quotes and confirmations and it's full steam ahead. B)

sound like a good price as it would cost more for me to make make sure its fully welded to and u need a stand at i reckon there a lot of work in them as if i was doing at work they would charge $50 per hour labour plus material

You can get conical fermentors in Australia from www.ibrew.com.au, however I have no idea on the price of them. It says POA, and those three letters scare me :unsure: :blink:

Anyway, I'd be interested to hear what they are worth. I'm not interested in getting one but I always like looking and dreaming. However I'd have no way of controlling the temp on one of these puppies, no where near as successfully as with a standard old fermenter.

Anyway, cheerio.
Justin

Justin

I spoke to the guy from Ibrew a couple of weeks ago. He said that the conicals would cost around $1700!!!
He also said that he had already sold half of the conicals that he had ordered - they still hadn't arrived either.

Hoops

Back