Stainless Steel Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TidalPete

BREWING BY THE BEACH
Reaction score
My partials have just about reached maximum & I am still :( slowly getting together all the gear I need for my AG debut. I'm looking for a stainless steel boiler of around 50 to 70 litres or so & would appreciate any advice on where I can best obtain something around this size. the Brisbane area is my No1 choice for purchasing but anywhere on the East Coast is ok. A 'short & stout' 50 litre ss keg would be good, although I would prefer something bigger to allow for double-batching in the future. I'm on a bit of a budget so I need to keep things (and my ambitions) down to a reasonable cost. Can anyone help here? :) :)

ss pots are pretty pricey for the size needed for a standard batch.

to keep the cost down you are better off getting an aluminium pot. they are easier to work with and heat up much more quickly than ss. i know chiller and others successfully brew in aluminium. as long as you dont scrub the protective oxidised layer that forms in an ali pot, you will be right. can;t remember why tho ;)

Have you looked at "Big W" ?

In case they don't have them in Qld, it's a Woolworths department store - not supermarket.

Anyway, I'm getting a 19lt there next weekend. Think it's only about $20-$30.

My memory's a fairly deceptive thing though, mainly 'cause I'm - well, you know - most of the time.

Good luck with your first AG. They reckon you need a lot of luck first time.

dickTed,
If you are in Melbourne and ever get into the city you can pick up a 20 Qt/19 litre SS pot for $15 in Arfur Daleys discount basement in Swanston St. Between Flinders and Flinders lane. They have riveted handles and are very good for partial mashes. I got one there last year.

cheers
johnno

Tidalpete said:
My partials have just about reached maximum & I am still :( slowly getting together all the gear I need for my AG debut. I'm looking for a stainless steel boiler of around 50 to 70 litres or so & would appreciate any advice on where I can best obtain something around this size. the Brisbane area is my No1 choice for purchasing but anywhere on the East Coast is ok. A 'short & stout' 50 litre ss keg would be good, although I would prefer something bigger to allow for double-batching in the future. I'm on a bit of a budget so I need to keep things (and my ambitions) down to a reasonable cost. Can anyone help here? :) :)
[post="57169"][/post]​

Tidalpete - I am in the same boat as you at the moment (and in brisbane) so if you find anything let me know. I am on the look out for an old keg as this seems like the best and cheapest option. Shame HBS don't sell equipment like this. (do they?)

I am currently using the Big W pot for partials and mini All Grains but want to move onto bigger things...

Hey Tidalpete,
There is a water heater available in SE Qld called the Saxon copperflow (there are earlier incarnations, one is known as the dualflow) that are heat exchange and they have a copper vessel nestled inside. They would make beautiful pots for the boil... they don't call boil pots coppers for nothing. They range from 70 liters to 400 liters, I just picked a used one up for $80 in Bris....it is 140 liters-the most common size, at least in the second-hand arena. I'm using it for a HLT, but you could strip off the casing and the insulation, cut the top off and use the copper tank for a boil pot (or a fermenter). You would be able to harvest the copper coil inside as well for other extreme brewer purposes. I'm not sure whether the bottom is convex or flat but the shape could be easily dealt with, I reckon, . Here is the link to what they are: http://www.sachs.com.au/Copperflow%20Product%20Brochure.pdf

I remember Gerard from ND Brewing writing recently that he had some boilers for sale with tap, 60L I think from memory. He is in Sydney but as you mentioned somewhere on the east coast he may be worth a call.

Most people don't think off it but try your local metal worker, I am a fitter and machinist and I made my own with a copper base, you may be able to get one quite cheep??? I would ask if they had anything like it before asking to make one, sometimes something might be just lying around. You never know.

Stagger

Back