Stainless Steel Bimetal Thermometers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lukes

Speak Easy
Reaction score
Stainless Steel Bimetal Thermometers.
anyone know were to get hold of them in Australia?

I have seen them for sale overseas at what i think is a good price (ex freight), but not here....

Something that looks like this:

Bimetal2.jpg

ThermometerNew.jpg

Here's the blurb from stpats:

"These thermometers have 304 stainless steel case, bezel, and stems. Reset screw for calibration. Dual scale (F an C). Accuracy is 1.5%."

:rolleyes:

Have been looking for these myself at the right price but haven't found it yet.

Have come accross These which are another option and are +/- 0.3 deg accurate in the middle range where you'd use it in a mash. Also tempting is that you can drop one of these in by accident and not worry. Would need to use a thermowell on the vessel in the absence of a thread on the probe.

Cheers

Borret

I have something similar for mash:

df_2.JPG

but I would like to get hold of something to make perm in the vessel.

Can't really tell you where to get one per-se.

However I scored this bad boy on Ebay for $10!! :super:

Total cost landed to my door from the US was $30 dollars Australian (incl. postage).

Bargain or what? 5 inch dial, 6 inch stem -20-95c. Brand is Trerice.

Warren -

Graphic1.jpg

Ambit instrument in Melbourne have 3" dial faced ones for around $90, 2" dial faced ones are substantially cheaper. I think there website is something like www.ambitinst.com.au, if not do a google search for them.

Like Warren above I got a 5" dial, 6" stem Tel Tru with thermowell for $20 off ebay :D Big grin!!! Followed it up the next week with another for the HLT for $23 which was 3" face with 12" stem. :D :D

Not cheap items usually though. Also ibrew in QLD does a Brewometer imported from the states which reads in F for $65 I think. Same specs as what you are looking for. http://www.ibrew.com.au/html/equipment/beerequipmentset.html

Cheers, Justin

G'day Justin

Those 5 inch dials will be good for when we become visually impaired. :D

In fact do a worldwide search on Ebay for "bi metal thermometers" and you'll most likely find one as we speak.

Warren -

good old ebay search it is then...
:beer:
Thanks for that.

ebay
eeebay
ebay let your hair hang down...

I think ebay has already got 5000 hits on that search this arvo.

Borret

Borret said:
ebay
eeebay
ebay let your hair hang down...

[post="67071"][/post]​

:lol: I got the search function in my pocket.
Got the Paypal in my hand
Got myself some crappy feedback
For selling second-hand.

Warren -

Well I have been wanting some of these for some time now and after a bit of googling I think I have found some locally and bloody cheap at about $23. Accuracy is 1.5% of scale which is 1.8degC on a 0-120degC one which is good enough for me.

Think I will be calling them today to make sure they sell to the homebrewer :p

Link to site here

Introducing the new OneTemp range of Bi-Metal Thermometers which are available in a range of stem lengths, dial sizes, stem formats and temperature ranges.
Made from 304 Stainless Steel with a choice of Back stem connection, Bottom stem connection or Adjustable angle connection.
All thermometers have a 304SS 1/2BSP process connection and have a 6.3mm stem diameter.
The dial is made from heavy gauge aluminum and the pointer is balanced and is adjustable. Totally sealed from dust and water splashing and the window will not fog up.
The adjustable angled thermometer has a sealed stainless steel bellows.

Accuracy: 1.5% of scale

bi_metal2.jpg

they look good - price is good too....

i like the -20c to 80c one.

could be another bulk buy :super:

JasonY said:
Well I have been wanting some of these for some time now and after a bit of googling I think I have found some locally and bloody cheap at about $23. Accuracy is 1.5% of scale which is 1.8degC on a 0-120degC one which is good enough for me.

Think I will be calling them today to make sure they sell to the homebrewer :p

Link to site here

Introducing the new OneTemp range of Bi-Metal Thermometers which are
[post="76128"][/post]​
Jason,
I contacted OneTemp here locally a few weeks back as I had the same idea as you(mentioned it on AHB at the time). However the one I wanted with the right temp range, probe length and sized dial was more like double the 23. Still reasonable value from what should be a reliable local supplier. When I rang them they were out of stock on a lot of the 0-120 degC models and were yet to place a new order with the Chinese/Taiwanese supplier.

Was intending to check back with them in a couple of months, and so I would be interested to see how you get on.

BTW, they were happy to sell to homebrewers

cheers
roach

Must have missed your post. Which one were you after, I was thinking the 100mm face back connector one. I guess the smaller face one is $23, was hopin a bigger face would only be another few bucks :p

Still cheap as you say.

JasonY said:
Must have missed your post. Which one were you after, I was thinking the 100mm face back connector one. I guess the smaller face one is $23, was hopin a bigger face would only be another few bucks :p

Still cheap as you say.
[post="76135"][/post]​
Was thinking of the back fitting 100mm dial, 150mm probe and 0-120 range which I was quoted for $41 plus GST. The 63mm dial is 26+GST.

Not sure of the price for the -20 to 80, as I thought 80 might be cutting it fine.

Hi,

just wondering if a milk frothing thermometer is ok...
it's pretty cheap ($15.50 delivered!), SS and does 0-100c

cheers,
andy..

View attachment 3755

Sonmar.

I use one inside my mashtun. I've got a small plastic lid with a hole pricked through it. I just shove the thermo through this to protect the dia. I just sit this on top of the mash. They work quite well all things considered. Go to a kitchenware store and you should be able to pick one up for under $10.

Good thing is they have a highlighted temp range between 60-70. Perfect for mashing. :beerbang: Only complaint is the stem could be longer.

Edit; spelling

Warren -

Well the quote appears to be:

$51 : 100mm - 0-120degC - Rear Mount - 150mm probe
$29 : 63mm - 0-120degC - Rear Mount - 150mm probe

Not quite as cheap as I thought it would be, I guess the WA distributer has to add a bit to the price :( Still waiting on availability.

i can smell a group buy coming on, i would be down for at least two if the price is right

Back