Stainless hop spider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried similar to that WEAL and the mesh will collapse in on itself, guaranteed. I ended up doing what you see in the photos.
Basically just used the mesh folded over, with the stainless ring/thread section put into the middle to prevent collapsing/suction.
I had 2 of these connected via a tee to the dip tube. It worked awesome for about 10 brews and have just gone to using a basket now.
Image%20(1).jpeg
Image%20(2).jpeg

I have put a reducer in all my taps and I have yet to try the Brau Wolf filter. I think I can see what you have done, but how did you seal the mesh bag?
Whoever could come up with a fool proof method for getting most of the wort out of the kettle cleanly (I would say there is a fair bit of sugar in that last litre or two) could make a bit of money.:)

This is it in action and disassembled. The mesh is folded at each end with pliers to make a seam at each end.
It worked awesome, I'd done IPA's that used up to 180 grams of kettle hops with no issue at all. It drained every last drop and the pump didn't miss a beat. It did leave about 3.5 litres behind but only because my pickup fittings didn't reach all the way to the bottom of the kettle
20190518_153711.jpeg
IMG_20191117_203228.jpeg
IMG_20191117_203253.jpeg
IMG_20191117_203324.jpeg

I do wonder how much sugar is left behind when we leave 1,2, or 3 litres in the kettle. Like taking a pre boil gravity we have to give a decent stir to even the sugar out or end up with a false reading. Would be the same at the end of a boil, letting it sit for a length of time I would imagine the sugar would be down the bottom. Have looked before for an answer on line and have never come across anything.

Latest posts

Back