Stainless hop spider

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stop playing coy. We want pics godammit!

I picked up a good hop spider yesterday. All 304 ss
Nice bit of kit.

1420082737202.jpg

Here's mine:
2015-01-01 15.23.17.jpg

Hold on. Stainless? My bad. Mods feel free to move my post to the hop spider thread. Cheers.

I went and checked out the ebay hop spiders. Didnt buy one because it didnt look that sturdy or well made.In particular the joining of the mesh and the welding.It would do the job but imho isnt worth fifty bucks.The guys there were very nice and helpful .

thebigwilk said:
Made an offer of $40 and got It, not bad value . Will update when it arrives.
have you received this yet? I've been after one of these for ages.

Just an update on the hop spider got it in the post the on Monday 3rd. Looks great all stainless frame and its a bigger size than I thought, plenty of room for a lot more hops than what I use will post photos of it next brew day but very happy with the look of it and the build quality.

Keg king have got one in their catalogue now. No idea if it's good or not but I might give it a go.

No affiliation blah etc.

welly2 said:
That looks smart. I might have to order one if my Craftbrewer hop sack doesn't work out (it's plastic, it may melt!)
I got one of those plastic hop sacks from MashMaster (possibly the same one), horrible.

It's just a pool filter bag. I added hops during the boil and it gummed up with hops and wouldn't let wort easily pass through the bag.

Inverted the bag, put the hops back in the boil and haven't used it since.

Maybe I used it wrong. But I'm not overly keen on plastic in the boil anyway.

Spiesy said:
I got one of those plastic hop sacks from MashMaster (possibly the same one), horrible.

It's just a pool filter bag. I added hops during the boil and it gummed up with hops and wouldn't let wort easily pass through the bag.

Inverted the bag, put the hops back in the boil and haven't used it since.

Maybe I used it wrong. But I'm not overly keen on plastic in the boil anyway.
Hmm.. perhaps I should not use it.

What bags are people using with the stainless steel hop spider?

Anyone want to buy a hop bag? Perfect condition!

welly2 said:
What bags are people using with the stainless steel hop spider?
A stainless steel hop spider shouldn't need a bag - it is the bag.

breakbeer said:
Read the previous page ;)
Oh, wicked. That looks the part, if you're referring to the ebay jobbie.

hey guys, just used the the stainless steel hop spider from Keg King.

35 $ - The construction is fairly flimsy however it does the trick, way better than using the bag. Heaps happy with it.

Back