Stainless Herms Coil Released

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Online Brewing Supplies

**** OBS ****
Reaction score
HERMS COIL STAINLESS STEEL.
304 Stainless steel.

$65.00 OFFER Closes 19th March 2012.

Save $10.00
coil.JPG

Made to fit a 1.7L electric jug.

Dia approx 100mm, height 240mm a total of approx nine coils.
Tube OD 12mm

We have tested these and they work very efficiently for heat transfer in a 1.7L electric jug.

I recommend that coil is cleaned after use and drained and stored upside down .

Shipping weight 0.8 Kg.

Hmm shiney. Damn u nev, maybe I finally move to herms.

+1.

I have been recirculating my last few brews to see if that picked up a few efficiency points and lost a few more degrees doing so, this will help and make hitting target temps a breeze.

You will not regret the move, I very rarely use the gas powered 3V any more. 3V is kept for 100L + brews now.
Worked out mashing (25L batch) with my HERM system cost me about 25c per mash and no gas heat or carbon-monoxide.
Nev

You will not regret the move, I very rarely use the gas powered 3V any more. 3V is kept for 100L + brews now.
Worked out mashing (25L batch) with my HERM system cost me about 25c per mash and no gas heat or carbon-monoxide.
Nev
Do u have the rest of the gear to go with it (ie to complete a herms).

What would be the upper sized brew you would recommend this for?

I remember back in the original thread, I think you said the copper was good for 100L batches and the S/S was good for 40L batches. Can you confirm this is still the case from any further testing, and what type of batch size/ ramp rate should I expect (approx)

Also if needed are you going to do the copper one?

edit: serious questions, I'm getting sick of the RIMS setup and am looking at this as an alternative

QldKev

Nev, I'll take one. Will also be putting order in for yeast and new erlenmeyer. Will send email.

What would be the upper sized brew you would recommend this for?

I remember back in the original thread, I think you said the copper was good for 100L batches and the S/S was good for 40L batches. Can you confirm this is still the case from any further testing, and what type of batch size/ ramp rate should I expect (approx)

Also if needed are you going to do the copper one?

edit: serious questions, I'm getting sick of the RIMS setup and am looking at this as an alternative

QldKev
We have done 100L brews using this coil and the kettle (1800-2000W) element. Ramp is good for 1C per min when controlled properly. This mostly depends on the flow you can achieve thru your false bottom.
We are not doing a copper one, too hard to clean and It looks ugly.
We have designed a whole system including controller/PID , software etc. Just not ready to put the complete system to market yet.Those that have tried the system have given it 100% positive feedback.
Nev

If it can do 100L batches, I'm in.

Order placed

QldKev

Nev,

Drop me a line when you are 100% happy with whole HERMS set up and I will take one off your hands.

Drew

yep wouldnt mind the whole set up. Do you have a rough expected time on this??

If it can do 100L batches, I'm in.

Order placed

QldKev
The heating element is a $9.00 kettle from Kmart, because its heating such a small volume its very efficient, I have designed a better housing than the kettle made from 100mm PVC.
Works very well, I will post the design/measurements when I get 5 minutes.
Here is a happy snap in the mean time.
Yellow thing is the coil in the heat exchanger.brewday4.JPG
My 150L 3V in the background.
Nev

G'day Nev,

so the half inch silicon hose you sell should attach easily to one of these coils and should just require a couple of radiator clamps to hold it in place, is that correct? Or would there be a better way of connecting to the coil?

edit: You just beat me with the picture. Looks like an easy set up

G'day Nev,

so the half inch silicon hose you sell should attach easily to one of these coils and should just require a couple of radiator clamps to hold it in place, is that correct? Or would there be a better way of connecting to the coil?

edit: You just beat me with the picture. Looks like an easy set up
Stu
Clamps are essential as the hose can slide off the coil, hot liquid and thongs dont work well together.
We didnt want to complicate the design by adding fancy connectors and it wouldnt make it work any better.
This way you can drill your holes in the heat exchange lid and just poke the coil ends through and clamp on.
Its idiot proof, I have proved that :icon_cheers:
Nev

The heating element is a $9.00 kettle from Kmart, because its heating such a small volume its very efficient, I have designed a better housing than the kettle made from 100mm PVC.
Works very well, I will post the design/measurements when I get 5 minutes.
Here is a happy snap in the mean time.
Yellow thing is the coil in the heat exchanger.View attachment 53034
My 150L 3V in the background.
Nev

So in that picture is it in the yellow pipe (plumber PVC sort of thing?)

How hard to make?

Latest posts

Back