Stainless Fermenter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paul

Reaction score
Just wondering how many people are using a 50L beer keg as a fermenter? I made one yesterday as I left my plastic fermenter in the sun and it started breaking.

I brew inside of a chest freezer thats on shopping trolley wheels and is fairly high and then from there i can siphon it into kegs. This saves me from having to lift it and as the freezer is on wheels I can wheel it to wherever im making beer.

Just wondering how many people are using a 50L beer keg as a fermenter? I made one yesterday as I left my plastic fermenter in the sun and it started breaking.

I brew inside of a chest freezer thats on shopping trolley wheels and is fairly high and then from there i can siphon it into kegs. This saves me from having to lift it and as the freezer is on wheels I can wheel it to wherever im making beer.

I wonder if you could get a weldless rotating racking arm for it? That'd be cool.

Any chance of a pic of the top of it Paul?

Q

I havent got a pic of it but its the same as people use for a kettle. Just the top cut out and a glass lid from an old pot on it.

Hey Paul, if you have access to a dolly(not the plastic toy type but one for panel beating ;) ) you could possibly make a shallow conical...?? Obviously depends how well you can access the bottom of the the keg but it's an idea.

I have used for years, cut a hole in the top i cover mine with a PVC cover that is a loose fit in the hole i guess you could call it open fermentation. weld a tap above the dish which makes a perfect yeast collector, easy to clean easy to use.

Stagger

I have used for years, cut a hole in the top i cover mine with a PVC cover that is a loose fit in the hole i guess you could call it open fermentation. weld a tap above the dish which makes a perfect yeast collector, easy to clean easy to use.

Stagger

Got a picture you can post Stagger? I am looking into this as well.

Cheers
DK

Heres a pic. Its a bit dodgy as I took it with a phone.

New_Image.JPG

I don't have a pic, however it's a piece of piss, get a stainless nipple and weld or have some one weld (tig only) on the side of the fermenter. The lid the same as Paul's Pic.

Craig

Back