Stainless? Brew Kegs.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wavemaker

Reaction score
Gooday all. I am just back into brewing and as many of you would have done, I have invested quite a few bucks in new equipment. In particular I have bought 2 23ltr stainless kegs. Problem! The actual body of my kegs are definitely stainless and I am unable to get a magnet to stick to them. However, at the weld sites top and bottom the magnet sticks like glue. Same with all the fittings and the lid and handles. Looking inside the kegs the weld line is rough and would harbour infectious material and rust can be seen running down the sides of the kegs. I don't want to cause a heap of pain for my local owned brew store, no names no pack drill. I called the owner and he said bring my keg in and he will get things sorted. Trouble now is that I have raised the issue with a number of brewing buddies and after checking their kegs out, they have all found the same deal. There are absolutely no identification marks on the kegs, just a couple of stickers. Has any one run into this problem before and if so was it resolved to your satisfaction? All replies gratefully received.

As far as I can remember, low quality stainless will be magnetic. Also all stainless, including top quality stainless well become magnetic once worked, eg. welded or cold formed, once the steels structure makeup has been disrupted it will stay magnetic, the only way to bring it back to the non-magnetic state would be heating it up hot as f*&k(dont know exact temp) and the quenching with cold water.

There is no reason to do this for a keg though, so to be honest I wouldnt worry about it.

Cheers,
Shaun.

EDIT: On second proper reading, If that is really rust running down the side of the kegs, and the welds have bad undercut, well yeah, i'd get rid of them quick smart, it'll only annoy you further in the future.

I don't think the magnetism bit is the issue here, some stainless steels can be magnetic, others not. It just depends on what they have been alloyed with, also high heat can make a magnetic steel non-magnetic and visa versa. More likely when the kegs have been welded they have not been purged with an inert gas and hence looking rough and unsanitary and having impurities imbedded in the welds. I can't see a fix for this and would be asking for my money back.

cheers

Browndog

Thanks for the replies. The shop has been on to the manufacturers or wholesalers and they advised they will replace the kegs immediately. No worries. They advised the shop keeper that the kegs would be unaffordable if they were made from the highest grade stainless. You are right browndog. I couldn't give a toss whether magnetic or what. My concern was the rust and rough surfaces for gremlins to hide in. I suspect the replacement kegs will be no different but would be very happy to be surprised. I'll post the results.

A very good internal inspection before parting with the dollars is a must.
Be wary of any kegs made in China that appear cheap, I am.
They usually have very poor welds if internally welded, some no weld at all :unsure:
Nev

If the replacements are the same or similar they possibly need repassivating of the internal seams? Give a scrub with a plastic scratchy (scotchbrite for eg) if you can, rinse and apply an acid such as Starsan,

or Coca Cola :lol: .

Here's a discussion of a similar nature: http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...f=6&t=69402

Gooday folks. As I stated in my first post, I wasn't expecting any better in the replacement kegs. I took delivery of a replacement keg yesterday. I inspected it the shop and could see the same problems were going to arise with this keg. I brought it home and gave it a good cleaning to remove any factory grime etc. I went to keg up this morning and there she was. Rust spots on the welds and rust stains running down the side if the kegs. I called the brew shop and related my story of woe. The proprietor said that he had been told by the area rep that if I was not satisfied with this, give me my money back and go and source some better kegs elsewhere. The poor shop owner basically couldn't do any more. I had to get a brew in the fridge so I used the new one and now I am hunting down some better kegs. Suggestions any one. Any help most appreciated. James.
P.S. Gooday Malted. That link brings me to this thread.

P.S. Gooday Malted. That link brings me to this thread.

Oh dear, I obviously had a few pages open and did the cut and paste from the wrong one! :blink:
The small amounts of rust probably won't be a problem when treated.
Try this Stainless Welds and Care: thread LINK

Edit: whilst it would have been a good joke to say here's a link to a similar discussion and link back to this thread, it was not my intention. :wacko:

Back