Stainless Bolts Or Rod. Bunnings?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Im after some stainless bolts or threaded rod for my single vessel rig. Needs to be 1/2 inch thread and around 15cm lengths. Nuts to suit too. Need four of them.
Is this something i could find at bunnings or would a drive out there be a waste of time! Need em fairly urgently so dont want to waste a drive if i wont find them.

BN

Im after some stainless bolts or threaded rod for my single vessel rig. Needs to be 1/2 inch thread and around 15cm lengths. Nuts to suit too. Need four of them.
Is this something i could find at bunnings or would a drive out there be a waste of time! Need em fairly urgently so dont want to waste a drive if i wont find them.

BN

The only SS all threaded rod I've seen in Bunnings here (in Melb) is in metric sizes (eg. M8, M10) about a metre long.

The only SS all threaded rod I've seen in Bunnings here (in Melb) is in metric sizes (eg. M8, M10) about a metre long.

Cool, thanks mate. 12mm wil do nicely if i need to look at metric. Is the 'm' number the diameter?

Rather than drive to your nearest Bunnings, you could order from this supplier - http://www.boltsnutsscrewsonline.com/shop/...el-Allthread.81

$16.50 for a metre lenghth of M12 304 stainless all thread rod (and they will cut-to-length for $1.50 per cut and clean up the cut threads)

Flat fee delivery of $9.50 Australia-wide.

(Note, have not bought from them myself yet so no info on reliability of supplier - other posters might like to chime in)

I could be wrong, but I think Bunnings will only have Galv threaded rod, and won't have 15cm s/s bolts.

Got any boating chandlery stores locally? I would call them. Otherwise a dedicated nut and bolt shop.

ring your local "warehouse" big bunnings and ask if they have it, some do in tubes normally in the bolt area with the galv / nickle / brass threaded rods

make sure the stock boy has not mixed it up when selecting....

Yep only galvanized rod at bunnings.
what a load of BS. they ahve a tonne of full stainless bolts. i bought some last week. yes they are next to galv, but they are there.

plenty of sizes nath. heaps of them

Nunawading Bunnings in Melb has SS all thread rod - saw it there last week. Not much, but a few pieces of M8, M10 and M12.
bayswater has heaps. bigger stores will have larger range, but they are all there incl marine grade (314) stainless

I thought they stocked the same store wide. My local bunnings only has galv rod. I spent an hour searching myself after I was told so by a storeman. He was right.

On a related note does anyone know of anywhere in Australia that sells larger thread sizes? I'm looking for acme thread in around M20 size, stainless.

I thought they stocked the same store wide. My local bunnings only has galv rod. I spent an hour searching myself after I was told so by a storeman. He was right.

Nah, there are different 'sized' stores that are selcted by size for the area and population they need to service. My bunnings is the smallest model they do which is retarded as its literally the only one in 500km radius. Im not exagerrating..

Had a sniff around there this morning and no luck. Found the threaded rod but its all galv, zinc, or brass. No SS.

Have got on to another mob who have ordered me a metre length and are overnighting it to me. Should have it by lunch tomorrow.

On a side note, how bad is it to use zinc bolts and nuts inside a mash vessel. Wont be going in the boiler.

yeah cause storepeople are always right arent they?! lol

you have to go to the isle that is the 'builder's' isle. they are with the normal pissy screws etc they are normally with the the construction brackets, posts etc. seek and yea shall find. well you will if your store is big enough. or you can always do a new search and get them from an online retailer.

but my bunnings is great. tonnes of stuff.

edit: although last weekend I had 2 store persons tell me black and blue they didnt stock black 'builders plastic'. I had to go find it myself, and made a point of telling/showing one of them when i happened to pass them

On a related note does anyone know of anywhere in Australia that sells larger thread sizes? I'm looking for acme thread in around M20 size, stainless.

See link I posted above. $33 for a metre of 304, or double the price for 316.

Magical_Snap___2012.05.04_11.12___001.jpg

I am wondering if using all thread as your centre tie rod (yes?) is maybe not the best way to go?

I would think a rod with threads cut into it at each end would be better. In the case of a Braumiser etc you have two plates that need to slide up & down the centre rod and all that thread on them is going to be like a rasp or round file every time they go up and down. Furthermore, all that thread is a great place for greeblies to hide/grain to get stuck in and would lengthen and complicate the cleaning process. Personally I would be trying to minimise the amount of thread that comes into contact with grain or wort.

Apologies Nath if you are not using the all thread in a way in which it is exposed to grain or wort in your brewery.

I am wondering if using all thread as your centre tie rod (yes?) is maybe not the best way to go?

I would think a rod with threads cut into it at each end would be better. In the case of a Braumiser etc you have two plates that need to slide up & down the centre rod and all that thread on them is going to be like a rasp or round file every time they go up and down. Furthermore, all that thread is a great place for greeblies to hide/grain to get stuck in and would lengthen and complicate the cleaning process. Personally I would be trying to minimise the amount of thread that comes into contact with grain or wort.

Apologies Nath if you are not using the all thread in a way in which it is exposed to grain or wort in your brewery.

Cheers Malted, youve obviously had a squizz at my single vessel build. But what im trying to do is instead of using a colander over my elements, i thought i would make up some 'legs' for the crab cooker insert which has holes drilled in the bottom. This would elevate the mash over the elements and allow an adjustable height for the mash to sit in the strike water for a single vs double batch. Ive worked out that whilst the colander i have keeps the mash at a good height for a double batch, it sits too high for a single.
the legs wont come into contact with grain, but they will be in the wort outside the bag and basket during the mash only.

The other benefit of doing this will be a better flow of heat throughout the vessel. At the moment, im convinced the colander is trapping a fair bit of heat and then im draining this and returning to the lid hotter than id like.

Thought id just cut the rod into four shorter and four longer pieces for legs. Usually brew doubles, but every now and then need the versatility to do singles of unknown recipes.

Is using zinc a bad idea? I can easily source the perfect sized bolts and nuts if its ok to use.

Back