Staged ferment - no starter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SergeMarx

Reaction score
So I was wondering a thing which certainly has been wondered before me...

If I am brewing a 20 litre batch, and ideal pitch rate is twice the cell count of a standard wyeast smacker, what would be the harm in no chilling the brew in two containers - fermenting 10 litres for a few days with the single smack, then adding the second container when the yeast has done its first round of (a)sexy fun times. My guess is that the biggest factor is oxygen - is there enough in the first ferment to balance the lower oxygenation of the second addition? If the second batch was oxygenated to normal pitching rates, would that affect the beer or would the yeast clean it up?

Of course, gotta try it to know, but given we can add the simple sugars mid ferment with great outcomes, can't see why it wouldn't work with wort - and save a few days in the process.

I did that with a saison.needed two packs of yeast but only had one.Forty litre batch.put 20 litres in the fermenter with one pack of yeast then after two or three days poured the other twenty litres in.
No other special treatment amd it came out pretty good.
I am thinking of doing it again as some yeast is a bit expensive and ten bucks helps the pension along a bit.
Go for it sarge.

Back