Ssr No Load Voltage

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexL

Reaction score
I have a Braumeister style brewery controlled by a Brewtroller. I thought I had my hobby electrics down pat, obviously not.

The set up is Brewtroller -> SSR -> 240V socket

The 240V socket has a small switch just like a regular wall socket. Tonight I added a 240V bezel light to show when the element is on, the light is wired into the back of the socket to the live and neutral terminal. What I've come across is that the bezel will light up with the SSR off (regardless of the socket switch location). As soon as something is plugged into the socket the light turns off when the switch is in the on position, but turns back on when the switch is off (i.e. the load is no longer 'visible' to the socket).

I got out the trusty multimeter and it shows a voltage of 124V on the output side of the relay which drops to zero when something (a load) is plugged into the socket.

A bit of perusing on the net hasn't yielded anything useful so I thought you guys might be able to help.

Cheers,

Alex

As above, SSR is not an isolation point, with no load or a light load the output voltage floats high, plug your load in

I have a Braumeister style brewery controlled by a Brewtroller. I thought I had my hobby electrics down pat, obviously not.

The set up is Brewtroller -> SSR -> 240V socket

The 240V socket has a small switch just like a regular wall socket. Tonight I added a 240V bezel light to show when the element is on, the light is wired into the back of the socket to the live and neutral terminal. What I've come across is that the bezel will light up with the SSR off (regardless of the socket switch location). As soon as something is plugged into the socket the light turns off when the switch is in the on position, but turns back on when the switch is off (i.e. the load is no longer 'visible' to the socket).

I got out the trusty multimeter and it shows a voltage of 124V on the output side of the relay which drops to zero when something (a load) is plugged into the socket.

A bit of perusing on the net hasn't yielded anything useful so I thought you guys might be able to help.

Cheers,

Alex

Hi Alex, these SSR units require a secondary source of power (as distinct from the triggering DC voltage) to operate the solid state relay itself. This secondary power is typically derived from the 230V load source as it has to be available at all times - hence the "leakage current". If you want an indicator lamp to show the on cycle, try a 12V LED lamp across the output from the PID controller.

Wes

Latest posts

Back