Ss Tig Welding

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slampt

Reaction score
Hey All,
Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I was curious as to how much power is required to weld Stainless Steel sockets to say a 50L Keg..
I have been hunting around in Perth for a reasonably priced TIG welder, but the cheapest I found was $60 per weld. Considering I want 11 sockets in total welded to various kettles it would be cheaper for me to buy an arc/tig which I could also use to build the frame. Obviously never have tig'd before I will need to practice :p that said I was looking at just getting a yumcha spec 200Amp arc/tig, disposable argon bottles aren't very expensive and I have a dodgy back pressure chamber made up..

TIA

Not much. Usualy between 40 and 80A depending on thickness. Stainless is one of the easier metals to weld but true sanitary welding is an artform that is very difficult if you plan on welding anything on the cold side.

Cheers Derrick

Cheers Derrick,

I appreciate your feedback, I intend to back purge the welds with argon before I do them.

Joe

unless you have previous tig experience (in which case you might not be asking these questions) you're probably better off just paying a tigger to do it for you. it'll be cheaper, and it will work, and there's at least some insurance.

unless of course you coincidentally want to learn tigging, in which case you probably shouldn't make your first attempt(s) on your precious kegs.

either way just keep your eyes on the prize - want a great rig so you can brew? outsource your work so you can get on with the job, and it'll be cheaper (consider labour time). want to learn to weld? buy a welder...

just sayin :)

I agree with getting any welds on the cold side not directly involved with the boil done professionaly however my Tig is one of the most used tools I own. Once you own a welder you can't live with out it.

Not forgetting the ethos of being able to acquire new tools that you 'need' and will make it 'cheaper'. :beerbang:
So what if it ends up costing 3 times as much and you wreck multiple kegs etc and ends up half arsed? No seriously, I mean if you had fun and learning along the way, go for it.
Chances are, you probably won't get it right but so what? Just be realistic in your expectations.
Don't let lack of skill stop you bro! I don't let it stop me having a go. It's about fun in the shed and tinkering.

$60 per fitting is a bit rich I would have thought. That works out at roughly 7 hours to weld 11 fittings.
Assuming its weld only (ie you will have marked out and drilled the holes and supplied the fittings) I would have thought 3 hours to weld and pickle.

Hi Komodo,

Everyone I have rung has quoted on a per socket basis. The cheapest being $60 per socket, as I am looking at 11 welds thats $660.... All holes are already drilled.
There appears to be a heap of people on this forum that have welded there own, I am curious at how sanitary their welds are?

Cheers

Honestly unless its a fermenter I wouldnt worry. Unless you're welding was rough as guts with holes everywhere I cant see the average clean weld being less sanitary than a weldless fitting and plenty of guys are making good beer with weldless fittings.

I have plenty of SS to test on, (tops of kegs) and some SS tubing which would easily simulate a socket, so I figure I will give it crack and see how it fairs. They are definitely not going to be used as fermenters.

What is the size rod I should be using?

Cheers

mate just get down to BOC and get a decent TIG, don't buy shit, practice your arse off on some scrap for a week and then weld the sockets in, don't worry about purging, you can always reach in with the torch and wash the interior welds.

btw, some BOC centres have a weld bay where you can have a crack and a quick rundown on the machine before you buy.

Yard

Cheers Yardy,
I might head on down to a BOCs tomorrow and see what they got and if they have weld days here. I am keen to give it a shot myself and the way I figure if I get a TIG I can use it for other things too (like building my frame) :p

yeah just do it mate, it's piss easy, i taught a fitter to weld once :icon_cheers:

they'll learn anything if you threaten to take away their handbag and daiquiri.

Just an update on this saga, I got a quote back from another mob in perth and they quoted $100 per weld (cash)....

I am totally going to do this my self! :p

Back