Ss Fittings - For Hlt/mash Tun/kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 384

Reaction score
In the middle of a brewery upgrade and needed some fittings. Decided to go with SS throughout. Rang around a few places in Adelaide with not much luck. Gave Pirtek a call and they were able to sort me out with everything I was looking for at very reasonable prices eg:
1/2" threaded nipple $3.68
1/2" socket $3.68

I also bought some more ball valves. They had 1 piece, 2 piece and 3 piece. At $29.04, even the 3 piece was under $30.

I would recommend that if anyone is looking for fittings check out their local Pirtek.

Cheers
Mark

Also they fixed me up with some S/S braided hose for nix. U cant beat that. (LOOK OUT PIRTEK)

The S/S braided hose; Do you buy this braid on its own or do you have to buy a hydraulic hose wrapped in the S/S braid and take the rubber hose out of the centre?

Another question...does the ss hose braid still drain properly under the weight of the mash....i thought that it would collapse flat and not drain except near the hole.

The SS hose is good - just take the rubber lining out with long nose pliers and you're in shape. There is some discussion on other forums about the usefulness of SS hose in the kettle when pellets are used, but it should be a good manifold in the mash/lauter tun.
You would need a shitload of weight to crush SS hose - 10+ kg if grains is nothing...
Cheers,
TL

my last big beer had approx 180 grams of hops in the wort and it all trained out fine through my s/s braided hose.
ive also one in the mash tun and it runs out very well.it withstands my stirring and the weight of grain.
i havent looked back since installing these in my system.

cheers
big d

hi pint of lager
they are all pellets.
tomorrows big brew day will be the sister star of the sun.
grand total of 197grams of hops in the boil.all pellets
this will be a good test of the braids ability to see if it can withstand blockage. :(

cheers
big d

Big D,

I am a big off the S/S braid - haven't had a problem with up to 100g of hop pellets

Cheers
JSB

Green Iguana said:
Another question...does the ss hose braid still drain properly under the weight of the mash....i thought that it would collapse flat and not drain except near the hole.
Iggy, the braid does not crush. I orginally thought that and stuffed a scrubby inside one. One of the most stupid brewing things I ever did.

Thanks for that sosman..was intending do do the stuffed scrubby thing tonight.......whats the best way to fix the braid to the inside of the esky.
The oringinal plastic 18mm fitting is still inside the esky...

MAH said:
I also bought some more ball valves. They had 1 piece, 2 piece and 3 piece. At $29.04, even the 3 piece was under $30.

I would recommend that if anyone is looking for fittings check out their local Pirtek.

Cheers
Mark
WEll i went to my local Pirtek this morning hoping to be successful in getting the connections for my boiler.
Complete waste of time - they had nothing in stock, and wanted over $60 for the two piece tap, something lik $90 for the 3 piece.

jgriffin said:
WEll i went to my local Pirtek this morning hoping to be successful in getting the connections for my boiler.
Complete waste of time - they had nothing in stock, and wanted over $60 for the two piece tap, something lik $90 for the 3 piece.
I you are just after standard SS fitings I would give Prochem and Tony Powell Hose Suppplies a call.
Prochem - 3265 2711 and speak to Paul Hoey.
Tony Powell - 32651 144.
I bought nearly all my SS fittings for my CPBF between those 2.
Paul from Prochem is very helpful - if you go there go out the back and you can check out all the different fittings. Hard to keep your hands off with all that SS!

Hoops - yeah i was going to go to Tony Powell, but after the comments in this thread i thought i'd check out Pirtek as they are a bit closer. By the time i realised that they were not going to be able to help, Tony Powell had closed.

I ducked in to Tony Powell on Friday, picked up some 1/2" stainless nipples, short threaded pipe, a tee.... touched up all of the shiney ball valves which I don't need... a great shop really..

dreamboat

Back