SS Conical Fermenter users: Good, Bad and the ugly? Do tell...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cocko

Oh Dear..
Reaction score
Oh Hi!

I may be coming in to a little bit of extra disposable income. With my rig being all I want it to be, I am thinking rather than coke and hookers, maybe a stainless conical would be some great bling but is that all it is? I am thinking it would be pretty heavy to lug around and clean etc....

So for the people who use them, I would love to know:

Are they too heavy to lug around for cleaning etc?

Do you have yours high enough to gravity feed kegs from? Or do you pump?

Has your beer improved in flavour or ferment behaviour ? If yes, could it be placebo only?

What one do you have and would you have bought a different one if you had the hindsight ?

Too much money for the results?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Dont waste your time and money, Cocko, just go with what you already know is a better deal for you!

Only thing with these is how the hell do you keep them temp controlled? You would need a big arse fridge to fit just one in where previously you could fit 2 60 litre fermenters. Then what would you do in winter?Would work for those who had a walk in cool room i guess.

Truman said:
Only thing with these is how the hell do you keep them temp controlled? You would need a big arse fridge to fit just one in where previously you could fit 2 60 litre fermenters. Then what would you do in winter?Would work for those who had a walk in cool room i guess.
You'd do the same thing in winter... leave it in your temp controlled fridge.

I visited a forum member to pick up a fridge recently, he had a stainless fermenter set up in a fridge - fermenter was one of the smaller ones, but on legs, so a gravity feed was possible. It fit into a reasonably sized fridge.

Truman said:
My fridge will fit the 54L one I am looking at and it is both cooled and heat controlled so not such an issue for me but yeah, More than one and you would be looking at a coolroom style setup for sure.

if you buy the conical, you'll just end up pulling yourself

better if someone else does i reckon

spend it on toot and hookers and let me when the party starts

so youve come into some 'extra disposable income'.. now theyre cameras everywhere these days so
what you think you got away with may not be the case.. flashy goods can be reposessed by the authorities,
however toot and hookers cant be.. ask craig thomson.. im with donburke..

You are SO off my list of never met friends, GAGF you loser, and F&cking fermenter,over coke and hookers? dont come back to Adelaide you Pr&ck, ill meet you at the airport and kick the living sh&t out of you. Go porkspin yourself you fu%king loser:) :D

Coke and hookers.

I can't believe you didn't work that out while typing the OP

TonyC said:
You are SO off my list of never met friends, GAGF you loser, and F&cking fermenter,over coke and hookers? dont come back to Adelaide you Pr&ck, ill meet you at the airport and kick the living sh&t out of you. Go porkspin yourself you fu%king loser:) :D
I love you too ****! :p

@ Don - usually ends up that way... Invite will be posted.

@ Doug - shoosh.

EDIT:

Its becoming interesting that no one with a SS fermenter is replying...

May say it all :unsure:

Or they may just have me blocked :p

Ur not far from me. Coke and hookers.
Theres a few guys on here with conicles to ask. Basicly as far as im concerned it great fir yeast harvesting and sanitising but other than that I wouldnt bother. Just my 2c

Cocko said:
Oh Hi!

I may be coming in to a little bit of extra disposable income. With my rig being all I want it to be, I am thinking rather than coke and hookers, maybe a stainless conical would be some great bling but is that all it is? I am thinking it would be pretty heavy to lug around and clean etc....

So for the people who use them, I would love to know:

Are they too heavy to lug around for cleaning etc?
No, you either buy a CIP system or easily enough move to clean.

Do you have yours high enough to gravity feed kegs from? Or do you pump?
Definitely high enough to gravity feed to kegs.

Has your beer improved in flavour or ferment behaviour ? If yes, could it be placebo only?
Knowing you have to have appropriate yeast counts for the yolume ensures better representation of desied expectations

What one do you have and would you have bought a different one if you had the hindsight ?
I have the Brewhemoth. Awesome value at purchase price(ie. before price rise)

Too much money for the results?
If you regularly fill 2 or more corny kegs then they are value for money.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Cheers Ken

I have a 46 liter stainless conical fermenter for about 8 years and it is a great bit of kit. Not sure how frequently some folks change their plastic fermenters but these things are for life.
I used to do homebrew in the 80's with the kit fermenters and a couple of decades later when I decided to give all grain a try, I opted for a stainless conical fermenter after trying out a glass carboy which had me worried about accidents in the brew lab.
I haven't had an infection yet which I put down to the fact that they are easy to clean and under normal circumstances it can't really be scratched.
You can harvest fresh yeast if you brew often. I like the idea that the amount of dead yeast cells, trub and hop debris has a much smaller surface area in contact with the beer. You can remove most of the yeast and debris without racking off into another vessel which has some advantages.
After all this time of owning the fermenter, I have only had my fermenter in fridge for 4 weeks since I had to cut the legs by 30mm.
As long as you have a good sized fridge (freezer at the bottom where compressor is) and the right type of conical, keeping it cool is not that challenging.
Mine used to sit up on a shelf so I could gravity fill kegs and bottles. The fridge shelf is on a similar level.
At the end of the day, I have heard of startups using milk equipment with flat bottoms as fermenters and as soon as they have a chance they move to conical fermenters. I suspect that plastic is more permeable to oxygen and light as well which might be why commercial breweries stick to conical stainless fermenters.

The main thing to look out for is for the welds to be sanitary welds as there is some less than acceptable equipment out there.

Cheers

Roller

Latest posts

Back