Ss Aeration Stones - What Pump?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgriffin

Reaction score
I went to the local pet shop today and bought their largest aquarim pump for my SS stone. It manages to create some small amount of air bubbles through the stone when connected directly, but utterly fails when i use a filter inline.

What pumps do other people use? And where can i get one?

sorry to rain on your question jgriffin but also to those that use them do they clag/gum up after awhile and can they be succesfully cleaned.boiling or whatever.
also curious as per griffs question.

cheers
big d

My 0.5 micron airstone has the same problems as Johns...The air pump doesn't push enough air into the stone - it would probably work fine on an O2 bottle that pushes a fair amount of air through the hose.
I'm thinking of taking mine back as I can't afford to buy an O2 setup at this time....Bummer - it looked like a great idea at the time.

Anybody want to buy a half micron airstone that's never been touched and only dangled in a glass of water once?!

Cheers,
TL

Trough Lolly said:
My 0.5 micron airstone has the same problems as Johns...The air pump doesn't push enough air into the stone - it would probably work fine on an O2 bottle that pushes a fair amount of air through the hose.
Hi

Emailed G&G about the airstones before I bought one and the reply I got said 0.5 micron was for O2 and the 2 micron for air pumps.

Cheers
Pedro

Yeah, I suspected as much - thanks for the confirmation Pedro - I will take mine back to the HBS and see if I can swap it for a 2 micron stone.

Cheers,
TL

have you thought of getting a cheapo compressor? an air pump wont push any pressure through it, but just 5 or so PSI might...

John that's strange that their largest pump isn't pushing out the bubbles with a filter attached. Are you sure there's no pressure controller on the pump? A friend of mine has a schmicko pump and he says he can regulate airflow by twisting a dial. I have a really small pump (10cmx 5cm) with a plastic diffuser and it spews out bubbles, giving me a floor covered in frothy wort in 15 mins.

- Snow

0.5 uM stone will clog quickly unless a pre-filter is used. There are many 0.5 and larger particles floating around in the air.
I went for the 2 uM with a 1 uM pre-filter. Still haven't used it though :(

Guys this is the beast I use , sure perhaps it's an overkill , and anyone of you who knows me will be aware that's my first choice.
Was around $85.00 and will blow GL's dogs bad smells all the way to Adelaide

Please excuse the dust , if you ever worked in an iron ore mining town you would know it's part of life , and notice I cover my brewery too?
Out of here soon !

Batz

hi batz
what on earth was this pump used for.?
it looks old in style but obviously works a treat.

cheers
big d

It's a newy !
Runs 25 aquariums , for a shop I suppose , got a website if anyones interested

I use it on the 2 , I have not tried it on the 5 I got off you as yet

And guess what? I can't find the website

hahahaha hope you find the web site batz <_< :lol:

Batz,
I was thinking about using my air compressor to do the same job. Do you think this would be ok to use? I was worried about the air maybe having some bugs in it etc. Does the pre filter stop this from happening?

vlbaby.

vlbaby, I was thinking of doing the same. It probably wouldn't hurt to fit a oil/water filter to the outlet of the compressor.

Back