Squid Ink Beer - Dr's Orders Cephalopod.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewtownClown

Cenosilicaphobic
Reaction score
Tried the latest out-of-the-box brew The Cephalopod by the good Doctor at The Union Hotel, Newtown.

The look on my face as it was poured was later reflected in the stunned looks from other patrons as I sipped the murky, grey/black concoction.

What resembled Mr's Marsh's pot of chalk dunker ("it does get in"!), is a sour mashed, no-boil Berliner Weiss that has been spiked with squid ink!.

Not as sour as the more traditional of the style but it is very tart and refreshing. Lactic sour baby vomit and sour spent grain aroma (in a GOOD way!) with the tiniest hint of the sea.
Mouth feel could be described as medium, probably due being traditionally unfiltered and an ever so slight wheat-graininess and finishes dry. The foam is quick to dissipate but the beer remains spritzy to the end.
Flavour-wise, nothing dominates. Slight fruitiness, a little Brett, tart, sour. It is really well balanced. A summer thirst quencher for sure.

Not the prettiest of beers, but, for what many would call a "gimmick", it sure drinks way better than it looks.

IMAG0143.jpg

Sounds interesting. It suprises how big sooks brewers are in rehards to looks. At anhc I spiked a cider with green food colouring. If I had $1 for every person that screwed up their nose caise I t was green I could retire. Big girls blouses. And they purport to be at the cutting edge of craftbrewing and bag out megaswillers for not trying something differant. Sooks.

Now that pic woukd make you take too looks I will admit but so long as it tastes good. Id love to hear Doc's thoughts behind the beer.

I, too, would love to hear about the inspiration behind the choice of Squid Ink. (Oyster Stout?)

We DO also eat with our eyes and appearance prepares our minds with a perception of the taste to follow. This beer has quite a visual impact that contradicts the other senses from the first taste to the last - that's what makes this beer so interesting and a pleasure to drink.

If I had a dollar for everyone that refused to taste or even smell this beer, I could have had another three schooners!

Needs more squid...

Could use a little BrewBrite as well :p , although I'm sure that if the Doctor brewed it the taste would be great.

Here's the sick squid I owe you - (boom tish).

Seriously left field beer Doc!

I suspect the colour was changed to fit in with the darker versions of regular styles that Doc brews.

In order not to change the flavour of the beer too much, the ink has met that end, as Berliner is a subtle-flavoured beer( apart from the sourness aspect).

Not sure if the sour mash is a traditional technique for this style, as his blurb says, but it has worked for me (when I brewed a Berliner).

Grey beer, interesting, thanks for the sticky beak sucker. :ph34r:

Big fan of the Dr's brews that I've sampled, sour sounds good, will keep a (beady) eye out for this one.

Mikey said:
looks like vomit, don't think i would get past that stage
Ha! Funny thing is, it tastes a lot like sick too.
But smells like fish. Yum.

I tried this yesterday.

Interesting, but I was over it by the second or third mouthful and then found myself in a hurry to finish it before it went warm in fear of it turning into a luke warm glass of puke. I rate it 5/10.

Newtownclown; Would be great to have an AHB meetup at the Union sometime with innerwest brewers, wouldnt you agree?

phoneyhuh said:
I tried this yesterday.

Interesting, but I was over it by the second or third mouthful and then found myself in a hurry to finish it before it went warm in fear of it turning into a luke warm glass of puke. I rate it 5/10.

Newtownclown; Would be great to have an AHB meetup at the Union sometime with innerwest brewers, wouldnt you agree?
I'll jump on that band wagon, if its rolling....
Live just down the road from Newtown clown.

phoneyhuh said:
I tried this yesterday.

I agree.....

Also on at Harts. I thought they had tapped the grease trap when I saw it. Tastes fine, just close your eyes.

I was at Harts last week.
I think that was the first time I've ever consciously decided NOT to try a beer.

Latest posts

Back