Squid Ink Beer - Dr's Orders Cephalopod.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had this at Harts last week too.
Sour beers are not for everyone, especially not a Berliner Weisse. Take that and add something else that is not for everyone... squid ink.
As mentioned, it is not extremely sour but has a slight lacto hint (think sweet yoghurt sour) and a pinch of brett in reserve to compliment the malt.

Doc has always enjoyed pushing the boundaries... and it is not the first time he wanted the mindwarping conflict of your eyes opposing your taste.
I quite enjoyed it on that hot day.

Pick which beer line has the Cephalopod....

IMG_20130209_170037.jpg

Interesting topic ;-)

Why a sour beer ? Why a black sour beer ?

Craft beer is approx 2.5% of the beer market in Australia. There are lots of entry level craft beers. Pale Ales, Pilsners etc. Which is great, they provide a gateway for mainstream drinkers to transition to craft beer.

I don't produce mainstream or gateway beers. I produce beers that are aimed at the already converted craft beer drinker and those that are probably in the top 0.5% of the craft beer segment.
Have you noticed that the majority of my beers are beers that are either historical or a blend of two styles and usually higher alcohol ? Black IPA (2010) Black Saison (2011), Belgian Oatmeal IPA (2011), Belgian Black IPA (2012), White IPA (2012) and Double White Ale (2011,12,13). These have been/are the main seasonals.
For mid-seasonals I try to really push the envelope and make something that is a little more polarising and will be a limited small release for only the craftiest of beer venues, and those seeking something different. Defibrillator (Weizen Doppelbock on Bourbon Oak), Night Nurse (Stout White Stout) and Cephalopod (Black Berliner Weisse) are the offerings so far.

Back to Cephalopod. Doing a sour beer is a gamble. Doing it commercially is a bigger gamble. A no-boil, sour mash and ferment with yeast and cultures is even more of a challenge. This could have been a drain pour in the early stages. Having 700L of spontaneously fermenting mash at 50degC in a mashtun after 24 hours is quite a sight . However that wasn't enough for me to push the boundaries. Simply looking at a cloudy sour/tart golden wheat beer with no-head wouldn't have made people actually think about it. It would have just been a nice please sour/tart ale. Making it black however makes you think twice and then attempt to deconstruct it and analyse its elements. Remember doing that when Black IPA's and Black Saison's first hit the market ? I do.
Using those techniques to make a Berliner Weisse black however were not available. Remember no boil and I didn't want any roast period. So squid ink was my answer. It adds minimal if any perceptible flavour (if you have your eyes closed and don't let them tell you what you should be tasting) and creates quite a visual. Note: It actually settles out a little after 5-6 days. The kegs need to be stored upside down before tapped and rotated after ~days to keep it on the darker side of grey rather than green (although flash photography always shows the green side).

It is great to see that many of you have enjoyed it and embraced it. It is also great to see that many haven't enjoyed it, or have a preconceived idea about it just seeing it and won't try it. This cements that my ethos of pushing the envelope to produce such a beer that is embraced by the ~0.5% and will be a journey for the rest.

Have I jumped the shark ? Maybe. Will I be doing another sour beer anytime soon (probably not, but never say never). Not because I can't, but because I have done it and am happy with the result. I also have many other creative ideas still to bring to reality.

Normal production has resumed. Iron Lung will be out the end of this month making its Autumn return. Black Imperial Pilsner at 7% alc with all the awesome hoppieness you've come to expect and normal brewing techniques ;-)

Beers,
Doc

Doc said:
Interesting topic ;-)

Why a sour beer ? Why a black sour beer ?

Craft beer is approx 2.5% of the beer market in Australia. There are lots of entry level craft beers. Pale Ales, Pilsners etc. Which is great, they provide a gateway for mainstream drinkers to transition to craft beer.

I don't produce mainstream or gateway beers. I produce beers that are aimed at the already converted craft beer drinker and those that are probably in the top 0.5% of the craft beer segment.
Have you noticed that the majority of my beers are beers that are either historical or a blend of two styles and usually higher alcohol ? Black IPA (2010) Black Saison (2011), Belgian Oatmeal IPA (2011), Belgian Black IPA (2012), White IPA (2012) and Double White Ale (2011,12,13). These have been/are the main seasonals.
For mid-seasonals I try to really push the envelope and make something that is a little more polarising and will be a limited small release for only the craftiest of beer venues, and those seeking something different. Defibrillator (Weizen Doppelbock on Bourbon Oak), Night Nurse (Stout White Stout) and Cephalopod (Black Berliner Weisse) are the offerings so far.

Back to Cephalopod. Doing a sour beer is a gamble. Doing it commercially is a bigger gamble. A no-boil, sour mash and ferment with yeast and cultures is even more of a challenge. This could have been a drain pour in the early stages. Having 700L of spontaneously fermenting mash at 50degC in a mashtun after 24 hours is quite a sight . However that wasn't enough for me to push the boundaries. Simply looking at a cloudy sour/tart golden wheat beer with no-head wouldn't have made people actually think about it. It would have just been a nice please sour/tart ale. Making it black however makes you think twice and then attempt to deconstruct it and analyse its elements. Remember doing that when Black IPA's and Black Saison's first hit the market ? I do.
Using those techniques to make a Berliner Weisse black however were not available. Remember no boil and I didn't want any roast period. So squid ink was my answer. It adds minimal if any perceptible flavour (if you have your eyes closed and don't let them tell you what you should be tasting) and creates quite a visual. Note: It actually settles out a little after 5-6 days. The kegs need to be stored upside down before tapped and rotated after ~days to keep it on the darker side of grey rather than green (although flash photography always shows the green side).

It is great to see that many of you have enjoyed it and embraced it. It is also great to see that many haven't enjoyed it, or have a preconceived idea about it just seeing it and won't try it. This cements that my ethos of pushing the envelope to produce such a beer that is embraced by the ~0.5% and will be a journey for the rest.

Have I jumped the shark ? Maybe. Will I be doing another sour beer anytime soon (probably not, but never say never). Not because I can't, but because I have done it and am happy with the result. I also have many other creative ideas still to bring to reality.

Normal production has resumed. Iron Lung will be out the end of this month making its Autumn return. Black Imperial Pilsner at 7% alc with all the awesome hoppieness you've come to expect and normal brewing techniques ;-)

Beers,
Doc
Love the info Doc. Cheers. Your right that's it's not for everyone. All you have to do is look at any comp and see how many ipas there are. For those of us who like brewing on the edge, have well worn copies of radical brewing etc we understand where ur coming from. It's just pushing boundaries with food. A shame I can't taste this. I love Berliner and love trying new out there beers.

Keep the prescription pad out mate

Doc you are a champion...this is the kind of brewing I love...not just thinking outside the box, but smashing the box, burning it to ash and throwing the ash in the air!!! LOVE IT!!!

Also got to love the train of thought that eventually got you to squid ink...you sir are awesome

Reread ur post doc. Ur right mate. Very clever using squid ink. Going to food is what I keep telling peiple to do. Brewing and cooking are interrelated. Anyone whose tasted squid ink pasta over a few days knows what ur talking about. My old mans a chef so I get it. Keep brewing the dream. Oh and send me a bottle lol :flamesuit:

You can get to try it yourself citymorgue2.
One Melb delivery left today. A keg for Slowbeer.
The Local Taphouse Stk are getting some too, but it likely won't arrive until next week.

Beers,
DR

The Union Hotel in Newtown still has a couple of kegs....

Medicated myself with a handful of these thirst quenching beauties again last night :wub:

I'll be back in Sydney in a couple of weeks. Will have to pop into the Union to try one of those disgusting looking things.

Mr Flocky said:
I'll be back in Sydney in a couple of weeks. Will have to pop into the Union to try one of those disgusting looking things.
Make sure you let me know when you are arriving and we will catch up for a beer.
Hopefully there will still be some left. As of Wednesday they had three kegs left.

Won't be getting to the inner west until probably Saturday week. But maybe a midday catchup at the Union before poker at the Impy. I'll get in contact with you before then hopefully.

Love your work Doc. :)

Suppose I'm one of the 0.5%!

Had one tonight at the Taphouse, Sydney. Was quite a bright green, no head. I enjoyed it, if I didn't know the ingredients I probably would have described it as sour apple, drinking with my eyes there.
Some interesting burps afterwards, but glad I tried it, cheers, easily the nicest beer I had all night, look forward to the next one.

Anyone know when this should be hitting the taps at the Wheatsheaf? Or, have I missed out?

I did get to try the rose Berliner Weisse (Temple Scarlet Sour) they had on tap a couple of weeks ago, my first taste of this style. Rather pleasant, tart & refreshing, but I think the colour (and the flavours which came with it) influenced me and I could only taste a framboise/kriek (styles which I've only very limited experience, too). I haven't had the chance to taste other Brett-beers, so I'm rather looking forward to trying what sounds like a more honest representation of the style (with a less flavoured colour twist).

Cheers!

Edit: Okay, so I just found out (after posting) that the Wheatsheaf "On Tap" page has been updated with Cephalopod... I swear I checked it only yesterday! Looking forward to getting down there and giving it a go!

Latest posts

Back