Spunding Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Same. I just swapped out the 15 psi gauge for the next range up which is 80 psi. ~ $8 each. I finish the ferments at ~ 23 psi for standard pale Ales or lager. That's at ferment temps. That seems to be the right carbonation levels. Eg. An Ale finished at 23 psi at ferment temp then chilled down to serving temps ~4c will drop that pressure to about 17 psi by memory, not that I bother to check that every time. Transferred at those pressure levels. Then served at ~8 to 10 psi.

For those who favour the diaphragm valve make sure it gets a regular clean, not only for sanitary purposes but also to stop it sticking. Maybe put a receiver before the valve.
1590020062849.png

That's a great post WEAL. I have used mine when filling kegs from the fermenter with pressurised transfer so I can't see the liquid level. I've filled the valve with beer a couple of times now and always strip it down for cleaning afterwards. What are your thoughts on a receiver? I'm wondering what I can use as a type of visual indicator before the valve gets filled with beer.

I don't use any pressure, well there is barely any going through a 5 mm tube, I have my receiver between primary and secondary fermenters. Would need a bit more thought for pressure fermenting, maybe a collection bottle could be adapted. Or even something with a Mason jar like Ballarat Guy made.

That's a great post WEAL. I have used mine when filling kegs from the fermenter with pressurised transfer so I can't see the liquid level. I've filled the valve with beer a couple of times now and always strip it down for cleaning afterwards. What are your thoughts on a receiver? I'm wondering what I can use as a type of visual indicator before the valve gets filled with beer.
Hi razz how about one of these, I tried to post the links but their site is down (no great surprise) I've pulled it apart to make it clear how it works, I'd just use the plastic disconnects, and if using hop pellets I would remove the poppets. That's a 1.25L pet bottle that used to have ginger beer in it. Just shout if it's a bit vague.

Attachments

• receiver.jpg
    receiver.jpg
    262.8 KB · Views: 111
Hi razz how about one of these, I tried to post the links but their site is down (no great surprise) I've pulled it apart to make it clear how it works, I'd just use the plastic disconnects, and if using hop pellets I would remove the poppets. That's a 1.25L pet bottle that used to have ginger beer in it. Just shout if it's a bit vague.
Thanks Grmblz, I get what you mean. I’ll see what I can rig up with my box of spares and I have some PET bottles.

So I ended up getting a set of digital scales from Bunnings for $15 and going back to what I used to do, but I also used the spending valve on the gas out, I managed to fill the spending valve with beer again. So now I'm using both methods of scales and a PET bottle as recommended by Grmblz. I picked up a bag of pale malt this morning and got a couple of the red connectors and a red tee piece.

You are certainly covering your bases razz, what Grmblz suggested is all you should need.
I didn't know Bunnings sold digital scales are they for weighing to 5kg?

Forgive me if this is a silly question but wouldn't it be simpler to have the barb with the line on it at the top of that T-piece so the line doesn't have to bend around the corner? Tackling the big issues today ;)

Edit: I got one of those T-pieces thrown into my last KL order for no good reason - reckon I've been shown a worthwhile use for it here 👍

Forgive me if this is a silly question but wouldn't it be simpler to have the barb with the line on it at the top of that T-piece so the line doesn't have to bend around the corner? Tackling the big issues today ;)

Edit: I got one of those T-pieces thrown into my last KL order for no good reason - reckon I've been shown a worthwhile use for it here 👍
Makes no difference other than giving you an extra 30 or 40 mill before the dreaded krausen makes its attack on your spunding gear, tomarto/tomayto really, the way I show it just happens to suit my setup, Vic pointed out that if you are going to leave it connected when you crash chill then the silicon tube should't go to the bottom of the bottle in case it sucks back what's in the bottle, I don't know why you would still have spunding gear attached whilst you crash but it's probably worth a mention, I prefer to have it in the liquid in the bottom of the bottle as it seems to cut down on the amount of froth that can collect in there.
Another BIG issue resolved? 🤣

Makes no difference other than giving you an extra 30 or 40 mill before the dreaded krausen makes its attack on your spunding gear, tomarto/tomayto really, the way I show it just happens to suit my setup, Vic pointed out that if you are going to leave it connected when you crash chill then the silicon tube should't go to the bottom of the bottle in case it sucks back what's in the bottle, I don't know why you would still have spunding gear attached whilst you crash but it's probably worth a mention, I prefer to have it in the liquid in the bottom of the bottle as it seems to cut down on the amount of froth that can collect in there.
Another BIG issue resolved? 🤣
In my own experience with the tube all the way to the bottom is you get much more foam as the co2 bubbles through any liquid that may be collected. I agree there is no reason to leave the bottle/spunding gear attached during cold crash but I often do. Mostly with lagers, the temp controller is programmed to reduce temp from say 15C to 4C over 28 days and then drop to .5C. I do not have to be there as I often travel. (unfortunately not now due to CV-19). With the short tube nothing gets sucked back in.

In my own experience with the tube all the way to the bottom is you get much more foam as the co2 bubbles through any liquid that may be collected. I agree there is no reason to leave the bottle/spunding gear attached during cold crash but I often do. Mostly with lagers, the temp controller is programmed to reduce temp from say 15C to 4C over 28 days and then drop to .5C. I do not have to be there as I often travel. (unfortunately not now due to CV-19). With the short tube nothing gets sucked back in.
Ahaa! Now I understand, have been racking my brain about why on Earth anyone would crash with spunding attached, it's all so obvious now, another day older and wiser. :cheers:

Back