Spunding Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, if you happen to get the krausen from a beer blow up through your spunding valve...is it a lost cause or can it be saved by pulling it apart and giving it a good clean?

Was looking to build my own in any case as I haven't been overly impressed with the pre-built ones I bought.

So, if you happen to get the krausen from a beer blow up through your spunding valve...is it a lost cause or can it be saved by pulling it apart and giving it a good clean?
Done it quite a few times now. The only worry is beer getting into the gauge. Mine are fine and its easy enough to clean the brass parts.
Its ~$8 to replace the gauge at worst but as long as they are upward when you get blow through then I don't think any beer gets in.
Mine are the KK version and copped a lot of blow through, cleaned etc but work perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Ok, might have a go at taking it apart and giving it a clean in the first instance.

View attachment 107352 View attachment 107353

Finally got to brew with the new valve & I'm impressed really nice adjustment
Fermented an APA with Nottingham at 5 psi
3rd day upped the pressure to get 30 psi went a touch over so backed off sitting on 27 psi now
Have been taking samples with short beer line & picnic tap will have to lengthen the line to stop foaming
Got impatient with gas in the sample drank it instead but its about nearly done
Thats my first beer for dry July & I can tell you wont be doing that again
Hey @rude ,
Off topic, but is that an ex brewery keg that you're using? If so what did you do to get the fitting on top?
Cheers Brock

Was looking to build my own in any case as I haven't been overly impressed with the pre-built ones I bought.

Yeah, just give it a clean and sanitise. I do this routinely now for each new brew because these valve aren't necessarily sanitary.

Hey @rude ,
Off topic, but is that an ex brewery keg that you're using? If so what did you do to get the fitting on top?
Cheers Brock
Got it cut out & bought gear from china & local hbs took it to a welder food grade job
Not cheap but now I have it easy to put arm in to clean
Also got a bit of tube welded for thermowell
Lovin the pressure fermenter need another one

Attachments

• IMG_1372.JPG
    IMG_1372.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 215
  • IMG_1373.JPG
    IMG_1373.JPG
    44.9 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 203
Got it cut out & bought gear from china & local hbs took it to a welder food grade job
Not cheap but now I have it easy to put arm in to clean
Also got a bit of tube welded for thermowell
Lovin the pressure fermenter need another one

Looks great rude. If you don't mind me asking, how does the cost compare to the keg King job ($289)?

Initially was only $300 but wasn't a good job had to take it to
someone else to get the inside ferrule polished properly so it was food grade
$400 by the end

Initially was only $300 but wasn't a good job had to take it to
someone else to get the inside ferrule polished properly so it was food grade
$400 by the end

That's not bad at all, considering. I would like my KK kegmenter to just be an inch or two wider to get my huge guns in there to give it a spot wipe on the more stubborn areas.

Testing the new spunding valve. Liking this much better than the pre-built ones I bought.

IMG_6606.jpg

Looks good. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at building one at some stage, so parts list would be great if available.

I definitely want a higher range gauge like the one you've shown there. I'm pissing in the wind a bit when I let it get up to the area between the two screws on the KK one. I'm guessing this is about 20 psi. Seems to get me down to 10 or 12 when I cold crash so works OK, but I'd like to know for sure.

I would also like to run it using a barbed disconnect and mount both the gauge and the pressure adjustment into the collar of my ferment keezer. This was I can check and adjust from the outside without having to open it all the time.

Looks nice, any chance you can post up a parts list? Including supplier links maybe? I'll pay you in compliments.
That CR25-100 Adjustable PRV sells for $12 odd bucks (US) but to send it here it's like $30+ and no local suppliers have it.
Would much rather DIY this device than pay $30 odd for Chinese miracles.
Bulk Buy for the valves?

That CR25-100 Adjustable PRV sells for $12 odd bucks (US) but to send it here it's like $30+ and no local suppliers have it.
Would much rather DIY this device than pay $30 odd for Chinese miracles.
Bulk Buy for the valves?
I'd go for 4 valves for sure.

Last edited:
I messaged the seller "zorotools" asking about shipping to Aus, and dimensions of a parcel carrying 20 - 30 of these. I can use those dimensions to get an estimate from ReShip.com to redirect the parcel to us from the US. Might be cheap enough to go ahead with

Back