Spunding Valve

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mardoo said:
You need lagering,
Baby I'm not palavering,
Im gonna send you,
Back to cooling.
Way, way down inside
There's a PRV
Gonna give me your spund,
Gonna have me a spund,
Want a whole lotta spund.
Got a whole lotta spund.
I think I can be confident the painkillers have kicked in now…time for some Zeppelin.

Hahaha I actually read that in tune and had a chuckle. Dedicated homebrewer you are.

Hey guys, someone PM'd me about my spunding valve setting process, and thought I'd put it up here as well. Not rocket science, and it's already been covered in a number of ways, but maybe it'll spark further discussion/give ideas.

I keep my spare clean, sanitised kegs at 10PSI. When setting a spunding valve, I double-check the pressure on one of the spares, bump it up to 12PSI, and then put the spunding valve on the gas post, with the valve set at around 20PSI. I lower the valve venting pressure until the gas starts to bleed off. As I allow the keg to bleed down to 10PSI, I slowly lower the valve venting pressure until the spunding valve reads 10PSI and the keg has stopped venting. Then I put the spunding valve on the fermenting keg.

I'll add that I was originally purging oxygen from my fermenting kegs, and using the fill and purge cycle to set the pressure on the valve. I suddenly twigged this last time that the yeast will use up the oxygen, so no need to purge the fermenting kegs.

Mardoo said:
I keep my spare clean, sanitised kegs at 10PSI. When setting a spunding valve, I double-check the pressure on one of the spares, bump it up to 12PSI, and then put the spunding valve on the gas post, with the valve set at around 20PSI. I lower the valve venting pressure until the gas starts to bleed off. As I allow the keg to bleed down to 10PSI, I slowly lower the valve venting pressure until the spunding valve reads 10PSI and the keg has stopped venting. Then I put the spunding valve on the fermenting keg.
10PSI == 69kPa == 0.69 Bar
12PSI == 83kPa == 0.83 Bar
20PSI == 138kPa == 1.38 Bar

So with the KK spundie, I could pressurise an empty keg, then attach the valve, and twiddle the knob until it slowly (over say an hour) drops back to where I want it ?

Based on very limited experience, you really only want to move it a tiny amount and see where (later on) the pressure comes to rest at.
Anyone have a winning method for this? Turn it 0.3 of a beesdick ?
If you can't hear it hissing, does that mean no gas is escaping?

Those look a little similar to the pressure release mechanism on my counter pressure bottle filler.

At a pinch I suppose the CPBF could be attached via a bit of hose and disconnect to the keg, and the gas release valve used to control/release pressure. However without a pressure gauge you would be flying somewhat blind.

Maybe if someone was clever they could put the two instruments together and sell them as one product.

Edit: looks like you can already buy a CPBF with a pressure gauge (the model I have is the povo one without a gauge) .. anyway, if its the same sort of valve as on the spunding thingo, it could be hooked up to the keg and used dual purpose.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Stainless-Steel-Counter-Pressure-Gauge-Beer-Bottle-Filler-For-HomeBrew-CO2-/262871811574?hash=item3d346185f6:g:eek:WkAAOSwZ4dZHLwR

If you don't have a spare keg or perhaps use less co2 :-

grott said:
To set the unit, say I want 10psi. Put co2 at 13/14 psi into a PET bottle using a carbonation cap, connect the unit in closed position then slowly open until hiss heard, back off a bit and your close to spot on, which the gauge will indicate.

Just a quick question.
After transferring to the fermenting keg & oxygenating the wort, spundie set at 10psi, would you add co2 & purge the keg completely & hook up the spundie with no bottle fed co2. Spundie gauge will read 0 Pressure but it's set to 10psi & will climb to set point then release excess pressure or purge & add 10psi of pressure then hook up the spundie.

Hey Crusty, I don't worry about purging with co2, the yeasties will consume and built up the pressure for you . As you said start with 0 and let the pressure build. I also like it as I can see when the ferment has kicked off easier by just checking the pressure gauge.

Has anyone found an inexpensive and reliable spunding valve setup that is accurate operating at less than 5psi? Say (for example) I wanted to ferment under a small amount of pressure in a non-pressure-rated vessel such as an SS brew bucket - does anyone have any experience with this?

Mr Wibble said:
So with the KK spundie, I could pressurise an empty keg, then attach the valve, and twiddle the knob until it slowly (over say an hour) drops back to where I want it ?

If you can't hear it hissing, does that mean no gas is escaping?
First bit, yes, as you say. It doesn't really take an hour. With the KK valve I was winding it back to where I couldn't hear the hissing, then getting it to where it's just releasing the tiniest bit, and waiting a minute or so for it to stop. Or you can just tap the valve and if usually stops. It's not precision, but is somewhat functional.

And no, I myself do not entirely believe there's no gas coming out just because I can't hear it hissing. Too many punk rock gigs through my ears to trust my hearing to that degree anyway.

If pressure fermenting continues it's rise in popularity it may just get it's own sub forum. All good info Mardoo.

Just lashed out for some on Amazon. Can hardly wait to get them. Better start chopping up my 50L keg in preparation.

Dae Tripper said:
Just lashed out for some on Amazon. Can hardly wait to get them. Better start chopping up my 50L keg in preparation.
Why you choppin up ya keg for?
Ive just got mine hooked up to my keg coupler minus the little one way check valve on the gas in side.

Crusty said:
Why you choppin up ya keg for?
Ive just got mine hooked up to my keg coupler minus the little one way check valve on the gas in side.
This one is pretty munted. It is the one that looks like an A type but isn't so I am going to put a corny top on it

fdsaasdf said:
Has anyone found an inexpensive and reliable spunding valve setup that is accurate operating at less than 5psi? Say (for example) I wanted to ferment under a small amount of pressure in a non-pressure-rated vessel such as an SS brew bucket - does anyone have any experience with this?
When you go under water the pressure increases how deep do you need to go to get 5 psi if you made a column filled with water and put the outlet tube at the bottom it would be under a constant pressure .

Latest posts

Back